1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 month old hen very skinny

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dlynne1123, Oct 15, 2013.

1. dlynne1123

dlynne1123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    We've been having some predator problems so for a few weeks I've kept my birds locked up unless supervising outside time. Just started reinforcing the pen and discovered one of my hens is very thin. Her breastbone has zero muscle!

This same hen had a significant injury when younger, we nursed her back to health and had her in the house for weeks. Since then she's been fine other than listing 5 birds to a fox in two days, their life us pretty stress free. No new birds, no other changes.

I'm bringing her inside and giving chick saver and monitoring her eating. I don't think she's laying yet. What else should I do or loom for?

Thanks!

2. dlynne1123

Jun 6, 2011
    Ok so I've been reading up. If I am going to deworming for worms and coccidiosis what are preferred brands. Corid or amprid. And what general dewormer? Should I treat everyone?

I can get most dewormer so from a distributor at work. She is very skinny but eating.

Thanks

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    See post #15 in this link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/817520/hen-with-crusty-butt-feathers/10

4. dlynne1123

Jun 6, 2011
    Ok today I brought her to work with me (I work at a vet). Had a fever of 107?? Not sure if I believe it but she weighed in at 1lb.13oz! Positive for worms and coccidiosis. So, we started her on oral gentomicin and panacur. Should have corbid tomorrow. Still eating, never looked shocky. Anything else I should look out for? By the way she's closer to 6 months and a buff Orpington.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by