5 month old hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3sisters, Sep 27, 2012.

1. 3sisters

3sisters New Egg

Jul 28, 2012
    Hi!
    I am new to owning chickens and have three hens (all raised together as little ones). My Barred Rock has started laying eggs and my Aeracauna has not yet started laying nor has our Large Golden Brahma. I have noticed my Brahma starting to loose some feathers..here and there around the yard. She does not have any bald spots, but it is noticeable that she is the one losing the feathers. I do free range my girls and they go in their coop at night. Thoughts?

2. Zippy007

Zippy007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    Shes moulting her feathers, its the right time of year and perfectly normal, they usually look unsightly at this stage when they moult but nothing wrong with her at all!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

It does defiantly sound like molting to me as well.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They probably are going through a juvenile molt and getting in their adult feathers. Nothing to worry about.

5. 3sisters

3sisters New Egg

Jul 28, 2012
    Thank you for the feedback :) I was thinking it could be a moult, but I thought hens had to be a year before they go through their first moult. I also thought I would have gotten some eggs from her, prior to a moult. I noticed some of her fluffy feathers coming out and some of her tail feathers. She is not moody, is eating, drinking and definitely wants to be with the other girls. She is the Golden one looking right at the camera (Betsy) and that is an older picture before she plummed out. I will keep ya'll posted :) Thank you again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by