5 month old muscovy drake with injured leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by binji, Oct 8, 2016.

1. binji

binji Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    i found my muscovy drake in a mud puddle unable to stand/walk on one leg. he had it held up limply and seems unable to move his toes.
    i brought him inside and he's currently wrapped in a blanket and eating, and we dont have the money to take him to a vet
    what should i do?

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Any obvious injuries? Swelling, hot to touch? Check for bumblefoot on bottom of his foot... also check if the tendon is still in place, should go right along back of leg and hock...

A nice soak in warm epsom salts should help in any matter... hydrotherapy is some of the best treatments for duck foot/leg issues...

3. binji

Jul 2, 2016
    no obvious injuries or bumblefoot and everything feels intact, but it is a little warm
    and will a warm bath without epsom salts work because i cant get a hold of those until maybe monday

4. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Any warm water soaking, swimming should help... just get the epsom salts as soon as you can since it will help more...

5. binji

Jul 2, 2016
    ill probably get salts tomorrow and i let him soak in warm water for a while and i think the leg may have been a little better, but hes asleep at my feet rn so
    do you think this may be botulism? i did some research and it usually starts in the legs but their pool was cleaned out like two days ago and it's been a little bit cold and it rained alot and i think the only plants that could be considered decomposing theyve had access too is grass clippings but im worried and you cant ever be too safe

6. binji

Jul 2, 2016
    there have been a lot of stink bugs around lately though oh my god

7. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    If you're worried about botulism, get some activated charcoal and keep that on hand... and epsom salts is a must to keep on hand for ducks too... *usually* botulism starts with neurological issues, like balance, stargazing and seizures... just holding a foot up and not using toes could be an injury, joint pain/issue, etc... best to start with the easy and less invasive treatments first to see if he improves...

Yep, we've been invaded by stink bugs too... :sick

1 person likes this.
  8. binji

Jul 2, 2016
    i rlly hope its just an injury and i will keep epsom salts on hand from now on tysm

and lmao i dont rlly mind the bugs much bc theyre pretty friendly and easy to catch and dont rlly cause much trouble but if theyre making my ducks sick they Have To Go

9. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    I don't think they will, at least my ducks hate them, lol... I think only the juveniles tried eating them and found out how nasty they are...

I don't like them cuz they love to dive bomb me every time I go outside, they aim for my face and leave their stink behind, ugh...

Oh, and try not to let him drink the epsom salt water, it's a laxative as well... duck poop is bad enough, lol...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  10. binji

Jul 2, 2016
    ye i see where youre coming from lmao :p i think theyre fun tbh
    and ye ik but thank you!! youve been a big help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by