5 month old Photo Op! (pic heavy!)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by pipdzipdnreadytogo, Sep 29, 2011.

1. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Goodness, this month has passed fast!

We are getting closer and closer to our first eggs from these little ladies (at least the barred rocks, as you'll see by their comb and wattle growth!) and we're also getting closer and closer to their first winter. I don't think the little ladies quite like the cooler weather (they didn't care for the extreme heat, either, but that's another story). There's been SO. MUCH. RAIN. and I wanted a nice clear day for some pretty pics, but the weather wasn't cooperative. In fact, it was nice and sunny this morning for my biology class's field study, but was gloomy by the time I got home. [​IMG] Oh well.

So here are the delightful pullets, in alphabetical order:

[​IMG]
    Easter-Egger Betty. My gosh, has this girl got some personality! She absolutely REFUSES to use the perches most nights (those older hens are scary, y'know), so I find her on the feed bin in the corner of the coop most nights. She gets a visit to the house every time and I think it's calming her down a bit. She'll be walking around me and I can pick her up with little complaint. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Easter-Egger Cressida. She is sooo pretty! [​IMG] She gets really excited, too. I let the girls out to free-range in the afternoons, and Cressy always comes flying out of the run like a little mad-chicken! Today, she about trampled two of the little Sebrights on her way out, the little goon! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Barred Rock Cricket. Cricket has come into this recent sweetie-phase. She follows me around whenever I'm outside, and when I turn to talk to her, she just poses all pretty and looks at me. [​IMG] But she still doesn't like to be touched and she'll complain if you try to pick her up. Sometimes, she gets it in her head to do some thing *not so smart* like flying up my back when I'm hunched over. I guess she never got out of the clumsy stage. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Barred Rock Debra Jo. Check out the wattles on this girl! She is much more hand-friendly than Cricket and lets me pet her and rub those wattles of her's. Such a pretty girl, too! I love how shapey she's getting! Quite the looker! And dare I say, maybe eggs soon from her..? [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Barred Rock Diana. Goodness, she's a camera hog! She was focused on the camera the whole time I was out there! She's pretty quiet, though, and always watching things with interest I find surprising for a chicken, almost like she's observing.

[​IMG]
    Barred Rock Freema. Freema, my sweet! Such a snuggly bird! She's taken quite an attitude lately, though, and if she doesn't want to be touched she'll take a swing, just like Maggie does. I think she just needs lots of hugs. [​IMG] Interestingly, she has a pure black feather in one of her wings, just a small covert. I adore that for some reason. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Barred Rock Kate. Sweet, shy little Kate. She's so skittery and totally hand shy no matter what I do. She's taken a liking to 'tightrope walking' on the new rooster pens. (Yes, I totally stole that phrase from MrsChickendad--it's totally what Kate's doing! [​IMG] ) Anyway, ...does anyone else see those worry lines on her face? [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Easter-Egger Maggie. My brother's taken a liking to little Maggie, always greeting her with a kind of Irish accent going. [​IMG] But anyway, lots of sass in a little body. She's eensy-weensy next to the rest of the pullets, but still gets her way with a short glare at her sisters. She tries that on me, but I just pick her up and rub that soft little beard of hers. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Easter-Egger Mako. It seems like she always gives me the same pose for her pics. I was glad to get that odd little look out of her this time! Anyway, she's ultra-hand-shy and talks and talks and talks when I pet her. I can only do so in a dark coop at night, once she's gone to roost. [​IMG] But that's okay. Hasn't she just the biggest, floofiest, most marvelous beard of the lot of them? [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Barred Rock Natalie. She's so distant and quiet that I almost forgot to get a picture of her for this! Natalie is the calmest one and does things in a very relaxed manner. She also is the only barred rock that still has greenish eyes, which I do quite adore about her!

[​IMG]
    Easter-Egger Wynne. She has gotten so pretty! She still reminds me of an owl, though... Anyway, Wynne is delicate, dainty, and almost girly! She doesn't seem to like to get her feet wet (unlike, say, Freema, who was scratching in a muddy-soupy-pit earlier today). She's pretty talkative, too, and will chatter almost nervously when I crouch to watch her. [​IMG]

And if you're curious (or just bored), here are the links to previous photo ops!
    4 month old: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=564665
    month old: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=550747
    month old: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=535599

Enjoy
    !

2. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Pretty girls! [​IMG]

3. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Those are some pretty girls!!

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Aren't they just the cutest! I love Easter Eggers an Barred Rocks!! [​IMG]

~Aspen

5. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    They are stunning! Love the easter eggers!

6. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Great pics! lol, you just confirmed the sneeking suspition I've had that I have EE's not Ameraucanas as the feed store had led me to believe. My 3 girls look just like Betty, Maggie and Crussida! beautiful!

Keep posting pics, love to see them grow!

7. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Ah, thanks for all the compliments! [​IMG] These girls have been a lot of fun to raise!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by