5 month old pullet with clubbed feet (with video) -- any advice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sonya9, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Yesterday I visited a local breeder (was actually swapping out an EE cockerel for a pullet). While I was there she also talked me into taking a 5 month old club footed Favorelle pullet that needed a home.

I have a small flock of mostly oegb bantams and 2 laying hens, the head hen also limps (she was also given to me by a breeder after she broke her leg and was picked on in the buff flock).

At 5 months of age I don't think I can correct this, both legs turn inward and her left foot is curled. She does get around pretty good though.

Video of her below, she is very calm and sweet and seems to run just fine when she wants too, I just hope I can prevent problems in the future (such as injury, arthritis, etc...).

Any uplifting stories of club footed hens that thrived for many years???

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The club foot couldve been caused by a vitamin deficiency as a chick or a genetic issue in the Faverolle breed. I once had a Faverolle rooster with something similar, he walked/ran fine with his crooked and curled toes. Gradually and slowly splinting foot or toes may help in time, it's a slow process. Your other option is to just let her go as she is. Here's a link for you regarding foot and leg problems/splinting etc:
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

1 person likes this.
  3. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Quote:
    Thanks! The breeder mentioned a few were born this way and she thought it might have been due to the incubator getting too hot. She said he had a couple of males culled and tested but nothing was found. She didn't want to cull a hen that could walk and could find the right home.

At her age I don't think I will even try to correct it, both legs are turned inward so it would involve way more than just straightening her toes.

I just hope it doesn't cause arthritis or some such thing.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by