5 month old rooster shriving this morning.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bucky52, Nov 18, 2014.

1. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    he is a white leg horn mix.He is a big boy.They are fed and given fresh water everyday.he is housed with another rooster.but separated with wire in between them.They have a nice coop that my DH built for them.I always feed and water my hens first.than take care of the roosters .they are not housed with my hens.It was cold here in VA.this morning.we were close to 20 degrees.He was standing in his run shriving.The other rooster was not showing any affects of the cold.I gave him some warm food.in a pan.he ate a few bites.I gave him a good helping of scratch feed.and soon after he stopped shriving.I was surprised that the cold affected him in that way.He is a healthy big boy.Now I'm worried how this winter is going to affect him.

2. AlineD

AlineD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    Wyoming
    Oh my goodness, I am just having a wonderful time imagining a rooster "shriving." I know you meant shivering, and I don't mean to make fun...just point out in a hopefully humorous way that to "shrive" means:

shrive
    SHrīv/
    verb
    archaic

gerund or present participle: shriving
    1. (of a priest) hear the confession of, assign penance to, and absolve (someone).
      • present oneself to a priest for confession, penance, and absolution.

Now that would be a pretty smart rooster! [​IMG]

But really, hopefully he'll acclimate as the weather gets colder. We had an unseasonably warm fall, and then it got super cold really quick. I was worried about my leghorns, too, but so far they seem okay, and it's been down around -11 at night. I try to give them scratch feed in the late afternoon. It's my first winter with chickens, so I'm keeping an eye on them. Haven't added supplemental heat (yet). Trying to resist, though it's hard because I'd like them to be comfortable.

3. bucky52

Apr 26, 2011
    Excuse the spelling.I always do the spell check.But it did not work for me today.I left work and came home at 3:30 this afternoon..I checked their water which was frozen.gave them some more water.and scratch.Its going to be colder in the morning.DH told me he will be fine.Hope he's right.i will worry about him tonight.

4. AlineD

AlineD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    Wyoming
    Nothing needs excusing; we all misspell sometimes. This just happened to be a funnier occasion. :) I bet your rooster will be just fine. Do your chickens snuggle up together at night?

5. bucky52

Apr 26, 2011
    my hens do_One of my hens is molting.and has decided to roost by her self in the smaller coop.My roosters are housed in another coop.Away from the hens.They have a brand new insulated coop .That my DH built for them.My big white leg horn.(foghorn is his name)was fine this am.I was down at the coop.before they came off the roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by