5 month old Rooster walk weird

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RoseZubal, Aug 26, 2014.

1. RoseZubal

RoseZubal Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2013
    I am a new chicken own, this will be our second flock. We just started to notice a month ago that our rooster walks weird. He doesn't seem to be in pain, nothing wrong with the bottom of his feet. He eats and drinks normal. It's almost like he bow legged. Anyone else have this problem?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be rickets. That can result from a lack of vitamin D, niacin, or from a calcium and phosphorous imbalance. Make sure that he is getting a balanced chickens feed containing 16-20% protein. I would put him on a vitamin and mineral supplement, such as Poultry cell or Rooster Booster Poultry Booster. Here is a link about deficiencies: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1070/vitamins-and-minerals-important-to-poultry
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/mineral_deficiencies_in_poultry.html

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  3. RoseZubal

Sep 6, 2013
    Ok I will try that, I was worried he was sick and would affect the other hens. He gets picked on by the older hens...

4. RoseZubal

Sep 6, 2013
    Should he be seperater from other hens so they don't eat it all? How long does he have to be on it for?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The Poultry Cell is a supplement that you can give to him only--the label says to give 1 to 3 ml per day orally, and the other kind is just spread over the food. It would be good for the others if they ate it too.

6. RoseZubal

Sep 6, 2013
    Husband was worried and thinks we should separate him from the girls, Just because he gets picked on and I'm not sure about that...

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How about placing him in a pen or dog crate near the others so that he stays part of the flock? I use temporary fencing (like below) to separate, or I use homemade pens inside the coop or run. They need tops on them to keep them in, and for that I will use bird netting which you can buy in a wide square piece.

[​IMG]

8. RoseZubal

Sep 6, 2013
    We do that now with the babies and the other flock in the outside pen. But We could maybe do it in the coop. Is that where your pen is?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Mine is portable--it is metal fencing from Lowes that just comes apart. My coop is pretty warm in the summer, but I use it in the spring months and early summer. I have used dog crates also, since they can be moved inside and out. If the run is covered, that would be a good spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by