5 month old roosters and hens are beginning to stay inside hen house/roost during the day.

gunnermccaw

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 28, 2014
My 5 hens and 3 roosters(accident) come down from the roost inside the hen house and into the run a daylight. But in the last 2 weeks they have begun to go back into the roost several times a day. If I go out there, they will come down. Most days they are put out into the yard and never venture over to the roost. The girls haven't started laying so that isn't the problem. I am hoping it is a sign that they are close to laying. Any ideas?

By any chance are the roosters harassing the hens. 5 hens to 3 roosters may be a very bad ratio depending upon the nature of the birds.

I have one Roo who is either picking on the smallest hen or trying to mount her. My head Roo always comes to her rescue. I think it's 50/50 mount vs mean. One time he grabbed her wing though and Roo 1 got after him. It's always the same agitator. Maybe we should get rid of him? Thank you for your reply. They are good natured Buff Orps.

Last edited:
Update: We gave Roo 2 to a friend with 36 hens and no rooster. Needless to say he loves his new home. The smallest pullet laid the first egg of the group of 5 hens. The egg is about her size.....tiny! Now I see why the roo was mounting her. I thought it was because he was just, well, showing his prowess. When Roo 3 mounts a pullet and the pullet squawks, Roo1 comes over and knocks him off. It is just amazing how those roosters protect the girls. I was herding them in with my 4 wheeler and Roo1 would push the pullets forward then throw a sideways block between my 4 wheeler and the girls. Also, they seem to know when a girl is missing and will go in search. Roo1 (the head honcho) ran to check on the tiny laying pullet when she left the flock and went to the run. Then, as if they had a conversation, he came running back across the yard without her. About a minute later she went upstairs to the laying box and left an egg. Then she came back to the flock. I just love raising these animals!

Back
Top Bottom