5 month old Sebright lethargic, eyes look ODD

Malarkey

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
Liberty, North Carolina
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Sebright, approximately 4-5 months old. She is lethargic and not leaving the coop. She is usually one of my high energy hens.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. She is not leaving the coop, doesn't appear to eat or drink.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since yesterday.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No, not yet, thankfully.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Nothing like that.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.She may have been pecked in the eyes while I temporarily housed my 2 Ameracaunas in there for a few hours?
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Doesn't appear to move much.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. I just isolated her this morning because I couldn't get to her in the coop, so I don't know yet.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Isolation, electrolytes and placed feed in her cage (may have to syringe/eye drop administer these to her).
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would love to be able to do this myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

Normal Sebright.png

This is what she looks like now.
20181017_170548.jpg

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: The coop we have has pine shavings in the coop itself. The run is on the grass so the hens can have access to bugs/weeds/grass at their leisure.

Any advice and encouragement is greatly appreciated. I'm beside myself right now.

The eye looks swollen, red, and looks to have foam in it. This can be a sign of mycoplasma (MG) especially since she is lethargic, but she may have just pen pecked around her eye and wattle where it is red. Look for gasping, head shaking, or sneezing which can be other MG signs. Clean her eye of any crust, and you may also apply some Terramycin or other antibiotic eye ointment. Vetericyn eye gel is also good.

The eye looks swollen, red, and looks to have foam in it. This can be a sign of mycoplasma (MG) especially since she is lethargic, but she may have just pen pecked around her eye and wattle where it is red. Look for gasping, head shaking, or sneezing which can be other MG signs. Clean her eye of any crust, and you may also apply some Terramycin or other antibiotic eye ointment. Vetericyn eye gel is also good.
Thank you for this. She is in a little dog crate on the floor by my desk. I am watching her for other symptoms. Thank you.

Poor thing. The chickens could of been hen-pecking her. 4-5 months? Is she laying eggs? If you see her poop, take a picture for the Chicken Experts (yep) to see.

I didn't get a picture, but I am happy to report that after isolating her:
- she ate some yogurt with chicken feed mixed in
-she drank some elecrolyte "Sav-a-chick"
- I put an antibiotic ointment on her eyes and she managed to perk up and run around the kitchen (more movement than I saw her do at all yesterday). I
- She pooped and it looks completely textbook normal.

I'm feeling better about her, just want her to get back to her old self.

Thanks for the advice and tips. If anything changes, I will post.
cleardot.gif

Thank you Eggcessive and Mew317. We took two steps forward and two steps back. I thought this was just an eye issue. I look at her nose (and granted, I am not completely sure what a chicken nose should look like) and it appears to be crusted. This formerly high strung chicken will eat a little and drink her Sav-a-chick and then become sleepy. These pictures are of her laying in my arms on her back. This is when I noticed the "crust." Am I seeing things? Did I isolate her too late and am I going to have 2 more coop mates that were exposed prior to me isolating her?

This may be the end of me owning chickens. I can't handle this. I love their feathers and their quirky little dinosaur like movements. I can't handle the death and illness aspect of being a chicken owner.

20181018_155156.jpg
20181018_155203.jpg

Back
Top Bottom