5 month old tom Narry leg rotating outward

GotCoop

Songster
7 Years
Jan 10, 2013
Baker, Fl
I have a Narragansett tom that is about 5 months old...a couple weeks ago I noted that he was limping and his left leg was slightly rotated outward. I thought he might just have injured it. But it didn't improved then this week it continued to rotate outward until it is beyond 90 degrees and he is really struggling. Another tom of the same age also just started to show symptoms of his left leg slightly rotated and being knock-kneed. Could it be genetic, diet? they are on good game bird feed...same as I've used for all my other turkeys over the years

Sounds like it could be perosis.
perosis_1.JPG

perosis_3.JPG
turkey_niacin_1.PNG

Source:
https://www.dsm.com/markets/anh/en_US/Compendium/poultry/niacin.html

Thanks...most of the info that I can dig up talks to young poults. This didn't show up until he was almost 5 months old and nearing his full size. But he is not obese, or have the issues a broad breasted might have.

Thanks...most of the info that I can dig up talks to young poults. This didn't show up until he was almost 5 months old and nearing his full size. But he is not obese, or have the issues a broad breasted might have.
It does seem a little later than most get it, but it's the only thing I know of that causes their legs to do that. Is the hock swollen?

I have a Narragansett tom that is about 5 months old...a couple weeks ago I noted that he was limping and his left leg was slightly rotated outward. I thought he might just have injured it. But it didn't improved then this week it continued to rotate outward until it is beyond 90 degrees and he is really struggling. Another tom of the same age also just started to show symptoms of his left leg slightly rotated and being knock-kneed. Could it be genetic, diet? they are on good game bird feed...same as I've used for all my other turkeys over the years
It does appear to be slipped tendon and is likely due to diet. If the diet is lacking the proper amount of thiamine and niacin it can happen in any variety of turkey. While @casportpony shows a method that uses surgery to repair it, it has been able to be repaired by palpating the tendon back into place and using a splint of some type to hold it in place while the turkey recovers. One such splint that I saw that was effectively used was a finger splint that was cut and bent to shape and then taped in place.

Giving water that contains a good vitamin B complex (1/2 tablet or capsule dissolved in one gallon of water) will provide the thiamine and niacin that is needed. Make it the only source of water and it needs to be made fresh daily.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom