5 month rooster has dark black and bloody poops !!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EasterEggersRULE, Nov 28, 2011.

1. EasterEggersRULE

EasterEggersRULE Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    South Texas
    What is wrong with my little buffy i just noticed the bloody poops and there is no blood on the roost but he has been passing bloody and dark black poops all day. His comb and wattles are bright red and he is eating well. I had to feed him layer ration for a week and a half but he is eating chick starter right now until i can get somthing else. Did the layer ration hurt him or is he sick ???
    I love this rooster more than any of my hens he is my little baby and there are no chicken vets around here if he is sick. Do i need to worm him ??
    He is showing no other symptoms and is runing around the yard like normal. Any help would be greatly apreceated !!

2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    How old is Buffy? Chick starter is good for the first few months, IMO. Laying feed would not hurt over that short of time, IMO.

Here: http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=17568 for normal poop.....

If you Search here on BYC for bloody poop... if you are sure it is bloody, and not normal, you will find the info you need. I hope it is not bloody poop.

Depends on his age if you need to or want to worm? Have you ever wormed your flock? I believe that if he is more than five months old.. six months old... that you could worm him and the whole flock (if you haven't wormed them)... If you think you should, Search "Worming with Valbazen"..... see posts by dawg53... Valbazen is a safe, oral, first time wormer.. safe to use, given orally and individually, and kills all worms (many wormers don't).

Good luck. Might want to give him or the flock some buttermilk or yogurt (buttermilk is easier) mixed in with some food (probiotics for healthy and normal pooping/digestion).

3. EasterEggersRULE

EasterEggersRULE Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    South Texas
    Quote:Its definatly bloody poop. He will be six months mid december . I have him in my backyard with barred rock hen and soon a serama after she is done with quarentine. I have plain yogurt so i will mix that with some crumbles and give it to all of them. I called my feed store up and they have Valbazen in and i can pick it up tomorrow morning. He is acting 100% fine execept for the bloody poop could it be worms or somthing worse ?

Thanks !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by