5 months and not laying!! What is wrong

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lilbrownie, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Lilbrownie

Lilbrownie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2012
    Berks County Pa
    Ok so I have 5 month old bantam Cochins who still have yet to lay any eggs!! There are 3 roosters and 11 hens!! The days here in PA are starting to get shorter and it is getting a little cooler!! Should I not be worried, it it just the environment?? I have heard that sometimes they won't lay til spring or do you this there is something else I'm missing?? Gonna put a golf ball in the nests tomorrow and I hoping that will give them incentive!! Any oth ideas??? Input please

Kathy

2. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Don't know much about Cochins. Are your birds from breeders or are they hatchery stock? Some birds take longer to mature/lay eggs than others. My Lavender Ameraucana didn't start laying until they were 8 or 9 months old. My Lav Splits (a visually black bird) they started when they were 6 months old. I currently have some young Orps and was told by the breeder that they won't start to lay until they are 7-8 months. So in answer to your question it all really depends on the breed and if you got them from a hatchery/feed store or a breeder. I find that hatchery birds start to lay much earlier than birds you might obtain from a breeder which in my opinion are a better quality bird. Hatcheries breed for quantity not quality. Hope this helps.

3. Lilbrownie

Feb 24, 2012
    Berks County Pa
    I have some hatchery and some breeder birds, and 2 of them now that I think about it are like 6 months old and they are the breeder birds!!

4. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I would contact the breeder you got them from and find out when is the normal/average amount of time it takes for them to lay. Like I said I have found if birds gotten from a breeder which are usually better quality it takes them a bit more time to mature and start laying.

5. jedgeworth

jedgeworth Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    Alabama
    Will probably start around 24 to 28 weeks old

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Cochins aren't known for being spectacular layers. Mine are tapering off sharply the last few weeks--older birds. They may not lay until spring.

Do you free range?
    Are their combs nice and red?

7. Lilbrownie

Feb 24, 2012
    Berks County Pa

I wouldn't say they were bright red but they are red!! Just anxious I guess and I just wanna make sure I'm doing this all right!! I could post some pics tomorrow of their combs for you to see!! I let them free range for about 2-3 hours each evening!! Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by