@ 5 months... i still don't know what it is....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by <3ChickenS<3, Sep 16, 2011.

1. <3ChickenS<3

<3ChickenS<3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Peterborough
    I'm thinking hen... but thought I'd ask to be sure....
    and people on here told me a jersey giant, but she's sooo small, it's little feet are yellow....she hasnt laid an egg yet, her little friend the roo (Harry) here is very small too, he might stand a foot high... don't know what he is either...

[​IMG]

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    the one on the right is definitely a hen. wish I could help you as to possible breeds...but I have no idea. she doesn't look like a JG to me

3. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    What a beautiful pair! I bet the chicks out of those guys'd be the cutest things ever [​IMG]

As for the hen, she almost looks like a sumatra/japanese cross. Are her legs really that short or is she squatting down?
    The rooster looks to have some cochin in him.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    He's a foot tall to head? So she's a bantam something with single comb and yellow feet...

Bantam black Plymouth Rock.

Yup, it's a guess and I'm stickin' to it. Try posting a pic with some representation of size on the 'Plymouth Rock Thread' (type that in the search). They'll know for sure if I guessed right.

And here is a Bantam Rock Thread, page three has a pic of black bantam Rock:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=552734&p=3

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The black is definitely a girl, and Harry is a boy. Both look to be mixes. Her comb is still pale so no eggs just yet.

20 weeks is the earliest you'd get eggs in the production breeds anyway. She's just not ready, yet. Give her another 4-6 weeks and then I think you'll see some changes.

6. <3ChickenS<3

Apr 12, 2011
    Peterborough
    Quote:I guess she has short legs...lol i never really thought about it before!

7. Cpprpnny19

Cpprpnny19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Middleboro
    The roo looks to be part(?) Cochin?

Lynne [​IMG]

8. <3ChickenS<3

Apr 12, 2011
    Peterborough
    Quote:ya, they are both pretty small, should see them holding their own against my 7 month old black sex links! Thanks, i'll give it a try

9. <3ChickenS<3

Apr 12, 2011
    Peterborough
    hmm, black plymouth rock ppl don't think so... legs too short

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by