5 New Chicks & Half a Coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ournwsimplelife, Aug 16, 2013.

1. ournwsimplelife

ournwsimplelife Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Hi everyone - I've been reading this for a while, and just recently joined. There is a plethora of information and pictures on here that make this site invaluable to the chicken owner or lover. I'm hooked.

We got our baby chicks one week ago from Urban Farm Store. I can't keep talking to my friends about them because frankly, unless they own chickens they're getting sort of sick of hearing about them. Their loss :)

~ Pictures Below ~

We have a Barred Plymouth Rock (Molly), Rhode Island Red (Ginger), Black Australorp (Hedwig), Cuckoo Maran (Cloudy Sun), & never least, an Ameraucana (Ishizu).

We love our girls! They have such distinct personalities. If any of them turns out to be a he, I'd bet on Molly. To get them unafraid of our hands and used to us holding them, I've been putting my hand in the box palm-up and just letting it sit there and it's worked great so far. Now, Ishizu & Cloudy Sun love to jump up onto my hand and arm and wait for a lift to be held. Hedwig comes up to me and loves to crane her neck to get a better look. Molly likes to be held the least, and keeps a bit of distance most times to the other four, and keeps her eye out. Once holding her, she's kind and relaxes a bit but stays alert. Ginger is like a little ginger-colored marshmallow that falls asleep so often it's a joke. As soon as you pick her up (which she doesn't mind at all) she just lays down and closes her eyes. I nearly jumped when I saw my daughter holding her and Ginger was laying belly-up!

OK, so enough of my fun of being able to blab about my chicks to people other than my family!

Our gang!
    [​IMG]

The Coop - in progress while I wait for the utilities to give me the green light to dig my trench
    [​IMG]

The day we brought them home, one week ago. Wow they were so much smaller! Missing tail feathers and tiny combs too.
    [​IMG]

Ginger, putting her feet up
    [​IMG]

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

4. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! [​IMG]

Cute chicks!

5. ournwsimplelife

ournwsimplelife Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Thank you all, for the kind welcomes!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] what a nice little jr.flock

7. fused1013

fused1013 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Southeast MI
    We're pretty much in the same boat here(5 chicks, half a coop) and a newbie LOL

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by