5 new chicks in the brooder, 6 left in the incubator and the power went out ...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Coopnana, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Coopnana

Coopnana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    north Idaho
    It ended up being off for just a bit, but the wind is blowing pretty good...so could go out again. Any good ideas to get through a power outage at this delicate point in the process. I have 3 eggs that have pipped and I can hear chicks. My other 5 baby chicks are 24 hrs old or less.?

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Body heat, thermal hand warmers, or something of the like. Do you have anything that produces heat like a gas or wood burning stove? Do you still have hot water? If you have nothing warm you may need to keep them under your shirt for warmth, if you have anything warm at all let me know and I can give you some ideas.

3. Coopnana

Apr 27, 2013
    north Idaho
    Two more have hatched since this...YAY....but two more pipped and I can hear them. We do have propane stove that I can bring baby chicks up to if we lose power again for extended period. We also have a small battery backup for our computer that I can plug into, but not sure how long that would be. Hopefully we are through the hatch if goes out again. Thank you for ideas :)

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    You can warm some water on the stove and put it in an ice bag or freezer ziplock bag for them to lean against inside a cardboard box or a cooler (both insulate). The eggs could be in there as well. Hopefully the lights stay on this time.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Overheating them could be even more dangerous than them getting cool. They are tougher than many people think but they still need some help. Just don’t cook them. And keep them out of a breeze, especially when they are wet, but really at any time. Wind chill is dangerous. This goes for unhatched eggs as well as chicks that have hatched.

Warm, not hot, water in a bag is a tremendous idea. You might try wrapping a dry towel or something around it ti insulate it and keep it warm longer. Warming bricks or rocks, as long as they are not too hot, and wrapping them in something also can work.

Try giving them something they can snuggle with. Stuffed animals can work or hang a dry mop so they can get under it like they would a broody hen. That will help insulate them. They are generating heat on their own so if you can conserve that, they can help keep themselves warm. At that stage the eggs are generating heat too.

Build a hover maybe by using a cardboard box and taping all openings so air is trapped. Think of a shallow box maybe 2” deep with the open side down and raised about an inch so they can get under it. The idea is that the box traps warm air from their bodies and keeps it there.

Hopefully you won’t lose power but that is one of my fears this time of year when incubating or brooding. Good luck!

6. Coopnana

Apr 27, 2013
    north Idaho
    These are great ideas...thank you everyone. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by