1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 new hens, one coop and 2 excited kids!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by addiewyatt, Jun 17, 2011.

1. addiewyatt

addiewyatt New Egg

Jun 10, 2011
    [​IMG] Hi- We are new to the chicken biz and having a blast. We have had our 5 NH Red hens for a week and they are laying about 2-4 eggs a day in all! We feel like we are finding treasure when we see the new eggs in the nesting boxes! We live in upstate NY where it can get pretty cold in the winter so I am a bit worried about the hens in the winter- but people have them here! Love this forum! Trish

2. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] glad to hear the fun you're family is having with their new pets!

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    welcome to BYC from TN. and in the winter you can put a red light in their coop only red though becase the non red one will drive them crazy but thats all i got sorry.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from California!

BYC is THE best place to come for information - here you can find out how to do things correctly, and how to fix your mistakes from NOT coming here first to research and ask questions. [​IMG]

But the most wonderful aspect of BYC is its members, who are informative, helpful, supportive, and just downright entertaining. I have made some of my best "friends I've never met" here, and even met a few in person, too.

Regarding winters, remember that chickens are wearing the best insulation in the world: feathers.

Enjoy the forums!

5. addiewyatt

addiewyatt New Egg

Jun 10, 2011
    Love the name Cutlet [​IMG] Ours are named: Dirty Gerty, Speedy Gonzolaz, Hawkney, Hueavous (sp?), and Puck Red Sox . What do you feed your chickens?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Gmsg01

Gmsg01 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    West Monroe,NY
    [​IMG]

My first time with chickens, fom upstate NY! My friends who have had chickens for years have done fine in the winter, so crossing my fingers I don't screw up [​IMG]

8. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    [​IMG]

9. addiewyatt

addiewyatt New Egg

Jun 10, 2011
    Are u planning on using a heater in the winter and how many chickens do u have?

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. There's nothing better than fresh eggs [​IMG] Congrats on your hens & good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by