5 new ladies

EddieLee

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 10, 2012
Rockville, MD

We picked up these 5 beautiful young hens yesterday from The Lind Family Farm north of Frederick MD yesterday. They have an awesome set up. Mr. Lind prides himself on having a non- medicated flock. Problem is, I have had an issue with sick chickens recently. Should I medicate the new birds? Or wait and see? They are only 3 weeks, and are being kept in a desperate area until they get a little bigger. Thanks for any advice!

I havent had that kind of issue as joesmania has said, what issue are they having and if there a still fairly young, you might consider a medicated starter feed are maybe some medicated powder for there water. I can understand you may not want to medicate them. but you may lose them if you dont. one other thing to make sure of is that your feed is fresh and the water is plentifull.

The chickens that were sick are all gone. I believe, based off of what I have read that they died from coccidiosis. The remaining adults are perfectly healthy, but from what I understand, they could be carrying the disease without showing symptoms. That could be a wrong assumption as well. I am not opposed to medicating if there is a need, but I don't want to do it unnecessarily. Thanks again for the input.

established adults within your own flock usually are not prone to catching Coccidiosis, unless you have 1. very wet living quarters 2 too many birds pooping in the overcrowded area 3. you introduce sick ones into above situation

when i bring in new birds, these are my steps ALWAYS , and trust me i learned these steps the hard way, lost many birds
1. isolate and quarantine, keep away from your established birds
2. i treat proactively immediately
worm them with wazzine
start them on medicated chick starter
and treat with corid for 5 days at least, more if they look wimpy

they are quarantined for a minimum of 30 days

hope this helps

forgot to add, each farm has unique "eco systems"

unique germs, bugs, parasites, chemical makeups, plants, etc

your established flock has adapted, and built up immunities.

new birds come from a different environment. the 30+day quarantine allows them to develop their own immune system, and thrive in yours

Back
Top Bottom