5 of 6 laying...odd question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bluetrain, Jun 30, 2010.

1. bluetrain

bluetrain Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    Western NC
    I have 6 Gold Comet hens (about 24 weeks old) and I am consistently getting 5 eggs a day, all in the same box (there are 3)....anyway, not being there to watch them laying, how would I go about finding out if there is an issue with one of them or if some are every other day laying and some are everyday?
    The thought of a camera did come to mind but I am not spying on them.....yet.....hahaha.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Depends on how important it is to you, your set-up, and how much work you want to put into it. I expect all are laying, but it could be one is not yet laying. 24 weeks is still plenty young for one to not be laying yet.

If you want, you can put food coloring in the vent of some every morning before they lay. You have to put it in fresh every morning. When you discover which one is laying, mark her and use that color on a different hen. Eventually you will find out which are laying. I would not use red since they like to pick at red, but some people do successfully. I've heard of some people using lip stick, but somehow that just doesn't sound morally right, plus I'd hate to have to explain that one to my wife or visitors and be convincing.

Good luck!

3. bluetrain

bluetrain Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    Western NC
    Quote:OMG....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]....thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by