5 out of 24 eggs. Sad day

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JBarringerNC, Dec 6, 2012.

1. JBarringerNC

JBarringerNC Chillin' With My Peeps

I had 5 out of 24 eggs hatch out successfully, I am upset with myself because I let the humidity raise way too high and I know it shrink wrapped my poor chicks right in their shells (and on the last day or two before hatching)

The reason I know this is because the very last of the 5 to hatch had to be helped out of the shell because it was stuck to the egg membrane and I had to use warm water to get it unattached to him.

I was sad when I realized it was my fault it could have easily been avoided!

~ I guess I should be happier because the 5 made it under extreme conditions, but I am the reason for the poor hatch rate!

Its my 1st Homemade Incubator and some would say it gets better as you do it more, but 20% hatch rates aren't common.[​IMG]

2. MapleLeaf86

MapleLeaf86 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    Aww, sorry some of your little guys didn't do so well. Five seems like a lot to me, so I think you did a great job! I am just doing my first hatch, so I'd be happy if even one little egg turns into a little chick for me. It'll make my Christmas.

I am also using a home made incubator, and I have a pad of notes for some things I want to try between my next run. I'm so envious of your five :)

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have great hatches with temps as close to 100 degrees as possible, 28-30% humidity the first 18 days and 65-68% the last 3. I have 2 thermometers and 2 hygrometers in different areas level with the top of the egg. I've never had a shrink wrapped egg.

4. chicknlove

chicknlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Oregon
    Humidity too high or too low? What happened? Just curious I don't want to make the same mistake..

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  6. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Did you open the incubator during the last day of hatching?Usually shrink wrap comes when the chick is close to hatching and the humidity gets too low.The one you helped had it pipped or zipped itself before you helped.Sometimes in a very extended pip or zip the membrane can dry out just because it all took so long.5 isnt bad at all.You did well and maybe it wasnt you.

7. JBarringerNC

JBarringerNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, I opened it foolishly thinking I could get the 3 chicks out that had hatched 5 hrs earlier.. they were falling down into an area that was exposed and I didn't want them to get hurt on the wire mesh.

The humidity went way up b/c I put hot water in where the other water was, thought it would offset the humidity drop from opening the door.. but when I closed it back up the humidity flip flopped and
    shrink wrapped them (I haven't inspected the eggs yet) -- Yeah, they're still incubating, i'm taking them off before I go to bed tonight and may look at a few (i'm not interested in seeing what could of been if not for my stupidity)

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I would be happy with 5 in my first incubation also. Congratulations. From my understanding, shrink wrapping was a function of opening the door, not trying to offset the error with hot water.

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Got to tell you about the chick in the avatar. She was 1 of 12 eggs. I didn't want her to be alone. So I bought her a feather duster, and had to order day-olds from a hatchery right away. They wouldn't send less than 10, so she ended up with lots of company!!!

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Dry membranes ("shrink wrap") occurs when the humidity is too low, even briefly. Dont be discouraged, even the most experienced hatchers have bad hatches. Just remember next time that lock down means dont open!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by