5 out of 7 chickens have stopped eating - any advice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mackie n chicks, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Mackie n chicks

Mackie n chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Banffshire, Scotland
    About a month ago one of my girls stopped laying eggs and eating - she walks around fine and her poop is fine. But we have been feeding her liquid food ever since. Since then another 4 have done the same. Again, they all appear fine and healthy and their poop is fine and solid. They have all been wormed and powdered for mites. They all stay in different coops so have no contact with one another. I've been giving them Harkers for any cocci's for the last two weeks. We live near a bird sanctuary so I'm scared they may have got a new strain of a virus. Our vets haven't got a clue and has said just to 'carry on and hope for the best' as they cannot find anything wrong with the girls they are unable to treat them. We have gone through most illnesses with our chickens over the past 5 years but this has us stumped. They are gradually getting skinnier as time goes by. 4 out of the 5 will still eat treat like sweetcorn and mealworms if given to them but refuse the food and corn they've always had, some of them actually turn their back on the food as if they can't even stand to look at it! Has anyone come across anything like this? Thank you in advance!

2. Newmamabear

Newmamabear Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Alberta
    Does your feed smell good? Is it all the same batch? How does their crop feel? Is thier poop normal? [​IMG]

3. Mackie n chicks

Sep 22, 2013
    Banffshire, Scotland
    food is new - their crops are empty and when I fill them with liquid food they go down so it's not sour crop - most of their poop is normal - we are treating two of them for coccidicus - but the rest are fine

4. Newmamabear

Mar 27, 2016
    Alberta
    A new bag of food or new type of food? could it be she's coming up to her moult? I know days are getting shorter and some people supplement with light for layers. Even though they're kept in different coops I wonder if some kind of transmission on boots or shovels ect. or something may spread it from one coop to another. Do you use apple cider viniger? I know it's very good for them and promotes a healthy digestion. Maybe try a couple tablespoons in thier water and see if that makes a difference. I use fermented feed for all my birds and knock on wood I haven't had to face this particular challenge but I hope the best for you and your birds. Could you open a new bag of feed and see if they turn thier beaks up at it? They're pretty good judges of what they should and shouldent eat and maybe that bag of feed is spoiled in some way?

5. Mackie n chicks

Sep 22, 2013
    Banffshire, Scotland
    They are all moulting at the moment-I have just got a new bag of food so will take yr advice and use that instead! I have cider vinegar so will use that as well thanks

6. Newmamabear

Mar 27, 2016
    Alberta
    Oh good, it may be just due to the moulting then. Getting all dressed up for winter takes a lot out of them at times [​IMG] Keep us updated [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by