5 out of 7 dead 1 mia

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Smiths, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Smiths

Smiths Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2012
    Enid, Ok
    I feel horrible right now only had the chickens outside for afew days asked my wife to have 11 year old daughter let chickens out of coop into secured run while i was at work daughter didnt properly secure run entrance upon exit wifes dog made fast work of the birds....

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  2. Nathan Sampson

Nathan Sampson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Whitewater Mo
    I am so sorry for your loss.

3. Cierra

Cierra Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2012
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I'm so sorry to hear that. Hope your missing hen makes her way home. Sometimes kids learn a lot that way...

4. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    So sorry for your loss, I can relate-- I am dependent on my 9 year old to shut the coop door at night when I am at work (DH has trouble fitting into run door opening to close it, majorly bad coop/run setup it was our first coop-- sometimes I think you should have chickens for 6 months before building your Coop!!!)-- and she forgets to close that door occasionally.....(only saving grace is that our dogs are loose at night outside of the larger fenced chicken area, so hoping that will be a second line of defense...)
    I have read on this forum that your missing chicken has a good chance of coming home in a few days, sending Good Thoughts your way.... on that....

5. Smiths

Smiths Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2012
    Enid, Ok
    Thanks everyone and i hope so its my wifes favorite but this area has alot of stray / loose cats guess ima get a live trap from animal control and start getting rid of some of them. Trying to decide if if i can handle raising baby chicks again / looking into trying to find some started pullets seems everyone wants you to take a rooster to though and i cant have one. Or price of shipping is double cost of pullets

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by