5 questions.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by questions543, Apr 15, 2012.

1. questions543

questions543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    I have five questions... Whats the difference between medicated and non-medicated chick feed. whats the difference between chick grower and chick starter, wheres the best/cheapest place to buy oyster shells... Is there another way to water your flock other than using the pvc pipes( probaly the stupidest question) )And last of all Is it okay to use playsand as grit ?
    Thanks alot... As you can probaly tell im new to this... ALL help would be appreciated.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Okay, you're new! medicated chick feed has amproliam in it that helps prevent coccidiosis. I've never used it, a few times I had a sick young bird, but would treat with Corrid or Sulfadimethoxine. Either way. Sarter/grower, I guess some brands sell them separate, I don't know, I've used chick starter/grower all in one until they get Layer feed. Playsand is not big enough. You can buy grit as well as oyster shell at a feed store that sells chicken feed. I just water my chickens with those galvanized things for poultry. They are easy to fill, so I like them. No question is stupid!!!!!! Good luck

3. questions543

questions543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Thanks a lot! What to do you mean by galvanized waterer?

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Other than the Medication there is no difference between Medicated and Non-Medicated feed. Medicated chick starter can have either Lasalocid or Amprolium.
    The difference between Starter and Grower is that for the most part a Grower will have less protein in it to allow time for the growing stock to fill out properly.
    The best place to get Oyster Shell is a good feed mill, try to stay away from feed stores like TSC they tend to charge more than mills do.
    Dont use "Playsand" as a grit, it much to fine and could cause more harm than good. What you could use is a All Purpose Sand it is much courser and will do far better for them than "Playsand".

I posted this some time back and I thought it might help you.;

Starter --
    A balanced feed meant as the sole ration for chicks from hatching to twelve weeks of age.
    At 12 weeks of age the birds can be changed to Grower or Developer. Starter can be Medicated or Non-Medicated when Medicated it is with either Amprolium or Lasalocid. Starter is available in Mash, Crumble or Pellet form

Stater/ Grower --
    A balanced feed meant as the sole ration for chicks from hatching to chickens begin to lay, this feed can be Medicated or Non-Medicated. If medicated it will be with either Amprolium or Lasalocid. Starter/ Grower is available mostly in Crumble or Pellet form.

Grower --
    Feed as the sole ration to chicks 12 weeks of age as a finisher. Grower feed is meant to feed until the chickens begin to lay, then bird can be switched to a complete Laying. Most Grower feed is Non-Medicated but some are Medicated with Bacitracin. Grower is mostly available in available in Crumble or Pellet form.

Finisher -- See above for Grower

Layer --
    Feed as the sole diet to laying hens maximum production of eggs. Do not feed Layer feed to poultry, which are not in production because of the high calcium levels in the diet. This is particularly true of young growing birds. Layer is available in Mash, Crumble or Pellet form.

Layer/ Breeder --
    Feed as the sole diet to laying hens and breeders for maximum production and for improved hatchability. Do not feed Layer feed to poultry, which are not in production because of the high calcium levels in the diet. This is particularly true of young growing birds. Layer/ Breeder is available in Pellet form.

Scratch Grain/ Corn (Maze) --
    Is mostly used as a treat and should for the most part be feed separate from there sole feed (example - there Layer feed). Scratch should not exceed 40% of there diet when feeding a high protein feed. (Sole feed 20% protein or better) You may start feeding Scratch Grain at around 12 weeks of age.

Oyster Shells --
    A Calcium supplement used to increase intake of laying fowl. Oyster Shells should not be offered to Non-Laying Fowl (Chicks, Growers, Non-Laying Hens and Roosters).

* Note --
    Amprolium - which goes by the trade names Corid and Amprovine, Amprolium, Amprol, Anticoccid and is a thiamine analog, competitively inhibits the active transport of thiamine (B1). Amprolium is used in the prevention and treatment of coccidiosis.

Lasalocid - goes by the trade name Bovatec. Bovatec (lasalocid) is a coccidiocide that kills coccidia. It is an ionophore that moves potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium into the cell causing the cell to burst. Bovatec works primarily on a single developmental stage of coccidia, providing a more narrow range of action than Deccox.

Bacitracin - Bacitracin can also go by the names Bacitracin Methylene Disalicylate and BMD. Bacitracin in Broiler And Replacement Chickens is an aid in prevention and control of necrotic enteritis caused by Clostridium perfringens susceptible to bacitracin methylene disalicylate.

Chris

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

6. HippieChick76

HippieChick76 Blossom Backyard Farm

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    Good questions. I'm also a new chicken mom, so I'm trying to learn a lot.

Is the sand mentioned the same type that is used in making concrete?

7. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    I am not sure about this, and check your feed bag, chick starter they don't need grit. Its already in it. If you read the back of the bag most of them say to feed starter for 8 weeks. I only do it for 3-4, them switch to grower. If you don't have access to separate ones you can use the starter/grower. With grower/finisher you need to give grit. Don't give your young peeps calcium. They can OD. They only need oyster shell when they are laying. You can buy any size grit, and hammer it to make it the size you need.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The All Purpose Sand is used for a lot of thing, Gardening and Concrete being two of them.
    All Purpose Sand is a washed and sized sand that will run from fine to course.

Chris

9. HippieChick76

HippieChick76 Blossom Backyard Farm

Apr 5, 2012
    Missouri
    Thanks Chris! Would I want the course variety?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by