1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 roos... :-(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rachel'sFlock, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

The mystery has finally been solved, and the roos have revealed themselves.
    I now have (all Black Australorp) 6 hens, 3 pullets and 5 teenage roos! [​IMG]
    The question I have is, how long can they all hang out together before the inevitable separation must come? They are already spending every day playing the "I am taller" game and flapping around like little beasts possessed.
    Right now, it seems like harmless (and rather hilarious) play, but I am aware there will come a time when there can only be one. What age or stage should I expect that? They are 12 weeks old today.

Thanks for the help, in advance.
    Brightest Blessings

2. kscottjoyce

kscottjoyce Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    Last weekend I went to a chicken swap/sale. The hosts had many roosters walking around the yard, they weren't for sale but they were just all living together. I am no expert on roosters but they seemed to form a pecking order just as hens do and all were able to live together.

3. Rachel'sFlock

wow, kscottjoyce, that is really surprising! I would love it if they could all just hang until I am ready to send the majority to Freezer Camp.
    Thanks for the prompt reply!

bright Blessings

4. kscottjoyce

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    If I were you I would be more worried about the hens. With so many roosters the hens may suffer more than the roosters will. I learned that the hard way. I had three hens with one rooster and I had to give the rooster to a friend since 3 hens were just not enough. They started to lose some of their back feathers and were bleeding under the wings from the rooster claws holding on to them during.. well... umm, chicken "sex."

5. Rachel'sFlock

I am only keeping one rooster, as there are only 9 hens.
    Poor girls couldn't survive that many boyfriends!
    I was just wondering how much time I had before that became the issue, and will the boys be big enough to process before that day comes, or will they have to be housed somewhere else... just thinking out loud, and happy to have others to tell me their thoughts on the matter as well!

6. kscottjoyce

Feb 22, 2011
    Townsend
    Ahh, I see. Well from what I have seen, roosters start mating a couple weeks after a pullet starts laying if they are the same age. It may differ for different breeds, and I could be wrong, but all I can offer is my experience.

7. Rachel'sFlock

that is helpful! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by