5 roosters and a turkey in freezer camp

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jasonm11, Sep 18, 2011.

1. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    The DW and I processed 5 roosters and one tom turkey last night and sent them to freezer camp. We are learning more everytime we process. This time we learned to clean out the freezer before processing all the poultry. Space was tight to say the least. We also learned the importance of having the scalding pot at the right temperature. If you do it right the feathers are mush easier to get out. I learned that I cannot hit the same place twice with a cleaver and to be more careful with the knife as i ended up cutting myself twice. All in all it was a pretty good experience and next time will be better.

2. jenny_kap

jenny_kap Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Romania
    Quote:congratulations for your freezer full of meat [​IMG]
    i was kind of upset because this year i didn't buy any turkey, but it had proven to be better, as i have 2 big chest freezers full of ducks and chickens. for next year i have to buy another one for vegetables only.

3. jasonm11

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    thank you, we have 6 turkeys we need to process for Thanksgiving. I am not looking forward to that as the BBB will be about 40lbs by then. The one we just processed was already about 25lbs.

4. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    thank you for your post
    it made me laugh for my husband and i are learning at the same scale and i got some wonderful flash back from a few weeks ago.
    that is alot of of meat. and 5 more turkeys wow.. that freezer is going to be tight.

5. jasonm11

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:no Im giving three away to friends and selling two.

6. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    where do i get friends like you???? [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. jasonm11

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:move to Texas. [​IMG]

8. hydroswiftrob

hydroswiftrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    N. Texas
    My Coop
    I am in Texas, only miles from you. Are you on the processing list? There are multiple people in our area interested in learning.

9. jasonm11

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:No but I will show you what I know if you want. I am not the quickest but Im getting better and the birds don't go to waste.

10. hydroswiftrob

hydroswiftrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    N. Texas
    My Coop
    Absolutely. I am in Gainesville. The next time you have one or more to do, drop me a line. I am free labor and willing to learn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by