5 Silkie Eggs brought in from the Cold today. Questions before Incubating.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 1Pammylou, Jan 24, 2014.

1. 1Pammylou

1Pammylou Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2013
    I just brought in 5 eggs that my Silkie laid in the last 5 days. I am in Alabama and it has been very cold here the last week. Today is only 26 degrees, I want to incubate the eggs, but I read somewhere that I need to let them warm up some on their own before I put them in the incubator. My question is how long do I let them warm on their own before I put them in the incubator? Also, how do I clean them a little? There was a spot of poop on one. I have incubated her eggs before, but not bringing them in from in the cold. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Jessshan8

Jessshan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    I would not clean the eggs as you will wash off the antibacterial layer the hen has placed on the eggs and leave them susceptible to bacteria attack. A little mess on the eggs will not effect the eggs development and I would not set really dirty eggs. If it has only a slight spot I would set it. I would also recommend letting them set overnight and placing them in the incubator tomorrow. You just want them to slowly come up to room temp to prevent condensation on and in the egg.

3. 1Pammylou

Sep 8, 2013
    Okay! Thank You for the help. I am very new to the chicken world.

4. Jessshan8

Jessshan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    you are welcome and asking a question on something you are not sure about is better than wishing you had. There are allot of people here that are quite knowledgeable if one doesn't know another might.....
    Good luck with your hatch but be aware it is addicting!

5. 1Pammylou

Sep 8, 2013
    I am already addicted. I got my first 3 Silkies 2 years ago but only incubated eggs this past August and September. It is just not normally this cold here in Alabama and this is the first Winter I have had a Rooster in there with my one mature girl that lays. I have 12 Silkies and 1 Showgirl.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd just let the eggs warm up to room temperatures, and then put them in the incubator. 30 minutes of sitting out should accomplish that. Don't clean the eggs unless they're really dirty, as that will wash off the protective bloom and possibly introduce bacteria into the egg; a little dirt is fine. Good luck with your incubation!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by