5 Toed Barred Rock baby -Pics added

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LeezyBeezy, May 23, 2011.

1. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    I noticed the other day that one of my girls has 5 toes!! Obviously she's a bit of a mutt. I got them from TSC. She is as big as the other BR I got, but just has an extra toe. GUess I'll call her Five!

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    sure she is a BR? there are only a few that have 5, Dorking, Faverolle, Houden, Sultan and Silkie bantam....post pics as she grows so we can see her!

3. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:WOW JodyJo, your good! BTW I have barred rocks and couldn't tell you how many toes they have, until now!
    Let's see the pics LeezyBeezy ! [​IMG]

4. LeezyBeezy

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    I'll post some pics. I was just assuming she was a genetic freak- like from inbreeding rom the hatcheries. She is black with barred feathers. I will go look at the breeds you mentioned! Right now, she and the other girls (now 7 weeks old) are loose in the barn, having a blast scratching in the (empty) horse stalls.
    - Lee

5. LeezyBeezy

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    Nope, none of those. This is her as a chick- not very detailed- but you can see blacks/yellow legs, mostly yellow beak (her's has more black than the other one).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  6. Dutchess

Thanks! I see what you mean, strange.

7. Dutchess

Quote:but, VERY cute!

8. LeezyBeezy

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    OK, here's some pictures. I must say, she's a friendly little thing... catching her in the stall wasn't too hard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:It's common for those TSC hatchery birds and others to have more than several different breeds mixed in their breeding, That's why they call them hatchery mutt's.

10. LeezyBeezy

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    Yeah, that's what I figured. It was just kind of funny when I finally noticed it, like- woah!! that's too many toes!! I'm not a breeder, so it's OK with me, as long as she gives me eggs! She's very smart, one of the friendliest of the group, and will look at me right in the eye. I think she may give the older, lead hen a run for her money someday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by