Aug 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I picked up these 7 chickens and didn’t think to ask the breeds and it wasn’t stated in the ad. They had been mixed in with some pheasants and the people had some very interesting birds in another pen nearby, but no other chickens besides the ones in the pens I was shown to. If there’s any photos I’m missing or if you’d like a specific/better photo just let me know and I can try my best to get some more! Thank you for your help!!

Blue and the white smooth are around 15 weeks old, while the others fall under a window of 11-13 weeks old. Also, if anyone can confirm Ori is the ONLY cockerel I'd be ever thankful!! :fl

Ori cockerel? (11-13 weeks)
IMG_6327.JPG
IMG_6333.JPG
IMG_6334.JPG
IMG_6336.JPG
IMG_6338.JPG
IMG_6341.JPG
IMG_6344.JPG
IMG_6347.JPG
IMG_6348.JPG

Echo (11-13 weeks)
IMG_6349.JPG
IMG_6356.JPG
IMG_6359.JPG
IMG_6360.JPG
IMG_6364.JPG
IMG_6366.JPG
IMG_6370.JPG
IMG_6372.JPG

Brown Frizzle (11-13 weeks)
IMG_6375.JPG
IMG_6374.JPG
IMG_6380.JPG
IMG_6384.JPG
IMG_6387.JPG
IMG_6388.JPG

Alteria/Terry (11-13 weeks)
IMG_6390 - Copy.JPG
IMG_6391 - Copy.JPG
IMG_6393 - Copy.JPG
IMG_6395 - Copy.JPG
IMG_6396 - Copy.JPG
IMG_6399 - Copy.JPG
IMG_6401 - Copy.JPG

Pip (11-13 weeks)
IMG_6402 - Copy.JPG
IMG_6403 - Copy.JPG
IMG_6404 - Copy.JPG
IMG_6406 - Copy.JPG
IMG_6410 - Copy.JPG
IMG_6411.JPG
IMG_6414.JPG

Blue (15 weeks)
IMG_6416.JPG
IMG_6419.JPG
IMG_6421.JPG
IMG_6424.JPG
IMG_6428.JPG
IMG_6426.JPG

White Smooth (15 weeks)
IMG_6436.JPG
IMG_6440.JPG
IMG_6435.JPG
IMG_6442.JPG
IMG_6445.JPG
IMG_6447.JPG
IMG_6450.JPG

I'm thinking that most of them are mixes, probably silkie/cochin or something of the sort. Silkies are known to have five toes, black skin, feathered feet, and head poofs.

Ori is definitely a cockerel, but the others are difficult for me to gauge. Silkies are known to be late sexers, but depending on what breed they're mixed with, that can determine how early they might start showing combs and wattles. Maybe somebody else can help with that part.

I'm thinking that most of them are mixes, probably silkie/cochin or something of the sort. Silkies are known to have five toes, black skin, feathered feet, and head poofs.

Ori is definitely a cockerel, but the others are difficult for me to gauge. Silkies are known to be late sexers, but depending on what breed they're mixed with, that can determine how early they might start showing combs and wattles. Maybe somebody else can help with that part.
X2. But something to remember - if Ori is going to be your flock's rooster, make sure he doesn't have any frizzled hens - or at least that you don't hatch eggs from his frizzled ladies. Breeding frizzle to frizzle is a recipe for nasty feather issues.

Thank you everyone!! I’m hoping they’re all silkie x cochin mixes :fl

Couldn’t the feathers be a good way to tell? Even if it’s just for the older two right now? I could possibly confirm they are pullets since there’s no saddle feather development (although it looks like Ori has some development there?)

X2. But something to remember - if Ori is going to be your flock's rooster, make sure he doesn't have any frizzled hens - or at least that you don't hatch eggs from his frizzled ladies. Breeding frizzle to frizzle is a recipe for nasty feather issues.

I actually have 2 “Ameraucana” cockerels alongside Ori that are a bit older than him. I don’t have a full plan for Ori yet but I really don’t want to get rid of him as he’s stolen my heart :barnie

I’ve done the research on frizzles before so I know all about the poor frazzle babies. Thank you for the heads up though, it’s always good to make a point of things like that!

Thank you everyone!! I’m hoping they’re all silkie x cochin mixes :fl

Couldn’t the feathers be a good way to tell? Even if it’s just for the older two right now? I could possibly confirm they are pullets since there’s no saddle feather development (although it looks like Ori has some development there?)

I actually have 2 “Ameraucana” cockerels alongside Ori that are a bit older than him. I don’t have a full plan for Ori yet but I really don’t want to get rid of him as he’s stolen my heart :barnie

I’ve done the research on frizzles before so I know all about the poor frazzle babies. Thank you for the heads up though, it’s always good to make a point of things like that!
:love Ori is awfully cute - and I'll bet he's got an awesome personality. Some of them are just meant to stay, aren't they?!

They are silkie mixes and they are adorable! Too early to completely tell sex, silkies are notoriously difficult, but Ori does look like a cockerel. He doesnt have as much poof and his combs and wattles are already popping out. If he's got your heart and you have have another roo, then keep him and enjoy him.

:love Ori is awfully cute - and I'll bet he's got an awesome personality. Some of them are just meant to stay, aren't they?!

There’s always a select few you just can’t get rid of!! I’m hoping maybe I can find him some girls to live with in a separate coop on the other side of my house. I’ll have a good view of the small coop from inside that way.. His little pose and strut are my favourite to watch :lau

They are silkie mixes and they are adorable! Too early to completely tell sex, silkies are notoriously difficult, but Ori does look like a cockerel. He doesnt have as much poof and his combs and wattles are already popping out. If he's got your heart and you have have another roo, then keep him and enjoy him.

Time to find this little man some ladies!!

Back
Top Bottom