5 Toes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by koral280, Apr 25, 2009.

1. koral280

koral280 New Egg

Apr 17, 2009
    Keysville, VA
    Our flock started with a 5 toe'd dad and we now have numerous (and I do mean numerous) of his offspring who sport 5 toes........Does anyone know much about this breed? Our understanding is that this is an ancient breed but that's about all we know.

Thanks!

Kat

2. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    Quote:Do you have pictures?

3. koral280

koral280 New Egg

Apr 17, 2009
    Keysville, VA
    Not handy at the moment but I can get some tomorrow...

Do the 5 toes signify anything?

4. mjjobbins

mjjobbins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Bartlett, TN
    There are a few breeds that have five toes. Houdans, Dorkings, and Faverolles are the three that I can think of right now. There may be more than that that I can't think of. I believe that the gene for polydactyly( extra digits) is dominant in chickens. That would explain why there are so many offspring that have 5 toes even if the mom did not. Can you post a picture of the dad? If not, can you describe him?
    Sorry, didn't see the post about pics when I was writing this tome. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  5. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    What breed are they ? Some breeds have 5 toes like silkies.

6. koral280

koral280 New Egg

Apr 17, 2009
    Keysville, VA
    We honestly have no clue what "breed" these guys stemmed from. I found the dad (and his sibs) when he was just a peep wandering through my small towns backstreets. They're pretty gamey, but dad is a very pretty red with some black, larger bantam size and he's thrown some beautiful birds. If you folks think it's worthwhile, my hubby LOVES to snap pics of his birds and I could post again with pics.

7. koral280

koral280 New Egg

Apr 17, 2009
    Keysville, VA
    I also just realized that there is a "what breed am I" section to this forum...sorry for posting in the wrong place.

8. What type of comb or top notch does your daddy chicken have ?

I am posting the breeds I know (except silkie, because there are SOOOO amy pics of silkies on this site).
    So here goes:

[​IMG]
    A Mottled Houdan roo.

[​IMG]
    Dorking roo

[​IMG]
    Favorel roo

[​IMG]
    Sultan roo

9. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Do your five toed chickens have five normal toes? or do they have toes growing off of toes?

I should take some pictures of my Sasquatch toed Rooster to show you what I mean, very odd indeed [​IMG] Never have seen anything like it before.
    I don't have any idea what kind of chicken he is either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by