5 unknown breeds. Help!?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PaisleyLife, Dec 9, 2014.

1. PaisleyLife

PaisleyLife Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2014
    Houston, Texas
    I just bought 5 chicks (I was told all female, and about 7 weeks old). I tried to pick out ones I thought were cute (obviously new at this) and just want to know what I have. The wife was selling them, but wasn't home, and her DH had NO idea what they were. 3 have green legs, I think the black one is a Plymouth? Hoping for some cool colored eggs from at least one! Thanks SO much in advance. Everyone on BYC has helped me out so much the past year with my sex links. I haven't joined until now, so nice meeting you all!!!!
    -Paisley

![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PaisleyLife

Dec 9, 2014
    Houston, Texas
    Sorry for the bad pics. I can try to get more if anyone thinks they may know what I have, and needs top view or whatever.

3. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    The ones with green legs are easter eggers. The barred bird is likely a barred rock.

4. purplesquirrel

purplesquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom

Firstly, black speckled one in bottom photo is a boy...

5. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    X 2 on the Easter eggers
    White one difficult, there are no tail feathers yet, quite leggy, some sort of Easter egger cross

6. PaisleyLife

Dec 9, 2014
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks so much for the info! I was thinking/hoping that it was male since the comb is red and pronounced. But all the ones they had of that breed were like that, so I wasn't sure. I want a male, but not more than one for right now! So fingers crossed. Do green legs always mean EE? The whitest chick has pretty cream colored feet*, and the Barred has normal looking yellow.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  7. PaisleyLife

Dec 9, 2014
    Houston, Texas
    I am so excited! Last spring I bought 4 gold sex links and 6 black sex links. They are not the cutest, and I cannot tell them apart minus the one with scissor beak. I am happy to get to name these 5 since they all look different!.. haha

8. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Not sure about ee leg colour, I've never had one before, some one else might know more. The white one looks like a white leghorn cross, with this pale yellow legs.
    The barred one is dark, which normally suggests the bird is female, males tend to be light, so maybe it is a breed that has a large comb at a young age and it might be female. With mixes it's so hard to tell, and even now you might become sure of what you have
    , but by the time they're 6 months old they can look totally different from now.
    Is it worth you phoning up and asking what animals they've got running around together? A list of the suspects would make it a lot easier :)

9. PaisleyLife

Dec 9, 2014
    Houston, Texas
    Good info!! It seems like fun trying to figure them out! No matter what, I doubt I will be disappointed. I don't even eat eggs. I just like to have chickens as pets. haha

I plan on visiting them again soon. I found the add on Craigslist, and they are just getting into breeding their own chickens and such. I got to pick from hundreds of chicks that were ordered online in some randomized discount batch (supposedly all sexed as female) I am wondering how much they were for her including feed, because at almost two months old, it seems like $6/chick is losing money.

I was told that if I ever wanted to trade in one bird for another (if one turns out male, bad layer, etc) I can, but I wouldn't do that! Is it easier to tell the breed once they are laying?

10. purplesquirrel

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom

Yeh once they have reached sexual maturity and all there traits are showing you can make good guess :) good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by