5 week chick opening and closing beak, closing eyes

SilkieSisters

Songster
Sep 4, 2018
I have two 5 week old chicks that have been closing their eyes and seem to be always sleepy. They also open and close their beaks every 10 seconds or so and fluff up their feathers. I thought they were cold so I turned the heat lamp up a bit more cus it was on a low temerature for awhile. I have no clue what's wrong with them or how to treat it. I haven't seen any bloody poops and their noses and eyes are very clear. Gapeworm? Cocci? or just cold . . . idk what it is.
@Eggcessive

Lots of things can make little ones act like this, worms or respiratory infections top the list.

Have they been exposed to plants or soil? If so, I'd administer Corid for coccidiosis. Blood in the poop only presents with a couple of strains of coccidiosis, not all strains; it kills chicks quickly, often before you realize you have a problem. Coccidiosis is virtually everywhere. Over time, chickens develop resistance to it, sadly though, chicks haven't had enough time to build up tolerance to it. Treating them for coccidiosis will NOT hurt them in any way, even if they're not infected, so I'd treat for that asap. In this case, prophylactic treatment is much better than not treating.

What type of feed? bedding? How is the watering situation? Any chance that anything is getting moldy? Link is website regarding fungal infections in chicks https://www.dummies.com/home-garden...ngal-infections-in-chickens-molds-and-yeasts/

Cedar anything in their brooder is a no-no, causes respiratory distress.

Ensure that your chicks can get out from the heat source in your brooder too, fluffy feathers isn't a "cold" issue as much as it's a "I don't feel good" indicator. Too much heat can kill faster than not enough heat.

In no way am I saying that any of the above ideas is what is going on in your situation, simply trying to eliminate the question, answer, wait... question, answer, wait... question, answer, wait... chicks often don't have enough time to WAIT for a solution, so trying to get you some basic ideas and strategies so that you can, through your own observation of your chicks, determine what you think is their problem. I'll keep you and your feathered family in my prayers.

Pictures are always welcome, of the chicks, their housing, and their poop are all favorites ;p

At that age if they are acting sleeping and puffed up, I would get Corid or amprollium from your feed store and start treatment for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp or 10 ml of the liquid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Do not mix anything else in the water, and change it daily. Keep their bedding as clean and dry as possible, and prevent spills by raising waterers to shoulder height on boards or bricks.

Lots of things can make little ones act like this, worms or respiratory infections top the list.

Have they been exposed to plants or soil? If so, I'd administer Corid for coccidiosis. Blood in the poop only presents with a couple of strains of coccidiosis, not all strains; it kills chicks quickly, often before you realize you have a problem. Coccidiosis is virtually everywhere. Over time, chickens develop resistance to it, sadly though, chicks haven't had enough time to build up tolerance to it. Treating them for coccidiosis will NOT hurt them in any way, even if they're not infected, so I'd treat for that asap. In this case, prophylactic treatment is much better than not treating.

What type of feed? bedding? How is the watering situation? Any chance that anything is getting moldy? Link is website regarding fungal infections in chicks https://www.dummies.com/home-garden...ngal-infections-in-chickens-molds-and-yeasts/

Cedar anything in their brooder is a no-no, causes respiratory distress.

Ensure that your chicks can get out from the heat source in your brooder too, fluffy feathers isn't a "cold" issue as much as it's a "I don't feel good" indicator. Too much heat can kill faster than not enough heat.

In no way am I saying that any of the above ideas is what is going on in your situation, simply trying to eliminate the question, answer, wait... question, answer, wait... question, answer, wait... chicks often don't have enough time to WAIT for a solution, so trying to get you some basic ideas and strategies so that you can, through your own observation of your chicks, determine what you think is their problem. I'll keep you and your feathered family in my prayers.

Pictures are always welcome, of the chicks, their housing, and their poop are all favorites ;p

They’ve been on electrolytes in their water and last night I started them on corrid and gave the girls drops of it by syringe in their beak to make sure they got it. I also have save a chick electrolytes and vetrx plus regular electrolytes. Which should I use? Checking on them right now I haven’t seen them open their beaks but they stil look a bit off.
I’ve always used pine shavings for bedding and they have areas to escape heat. I used to change water when it was empty but now I do it daily. I give them fresh grain feed from a local farm but it is packaged off the farm.
11502D5E-C372-4676-A8F7-9F97B4B3143E.jpeg

One of the “sick” girls is on the roosting bar.
2EC717C5-39B8-4FB7-8DEE-67C4F25153E8.jpeg

Here’s both of them together from a few minutes ago - they look healthy some of the time but kinda still ish
I still see them eating and around the water every so often but I don’t have eyes on them 24/7. They still will run around with the others. My main question is what to put in their water.

While they are on Corid in the water, stop the electrolytes and vitamins, since the B1 can interfere with treatment. If you have the Corid liquid, you can give a couple of drops of the undiluted Corid orally twice a day to give them a boost. Chicks may like water in their feed, but just mix a small amount at a time, so it doesn’t go bad. A tsp of plain yogurt added is good for probiotics. They also may eat some chopped scrambled egg, but if they haven’t had it yet, try it a few times.

While they are on Corid in the water, stop the electrolytes and vitamins, since the B1 can interfere with treatment. If you have the Corid liquid, you can give a couple of drops of the undiluted Corid orally twice a day to give them a boost. Chicks may like water in their feed, but just mix a small amount at a time, so it doesn’t go bad. A tsp of plain yogurt added is good for probiotics. They also may eat some chopped scrambled egg, but if they haven’t had it yet, try it a few times.
Okay will do. Would it help to steam them with vet rx?

I am not sure why you are using the Vet Rx. It is an herbal oil with camphor that is similar to Vicks. Some use it for respiratory treatments although it is questionable whether or not it helps. For coccidiosis, it isn’t necessary, but it will not hurt either.

Back
Top Bottom