5 week chicks, fairly certain it's cocci

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pastrymama, May 13, 2010.

1. pastrymama

pastrymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    i just found some poo pics on another site of birds after treatment for cocci and they look exactly like what i have going on. so i have 6- 5 week old chicks, some of them look absolutely fine, some are now all puffed up. i just finished a 6 day course of sulmet on tuesday. so i treated them all. do i treat again or is this a wait and see who survives thing? there is this disgusting reddish poo everywhere this morning that smells almost sickening sweet and completely gross at the same time. i am at a loss as these are my first birds. i don't know what to do, i just cleaned out the whole coop last night, feeder and waterer. i know too much meds will kill them, but so will cocci. what to do?

2. SAORSA

SAORSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Wine Country
    Just a bump, I have no idea [​IMG] but would like to know, just in case.

BUMP

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Try a round of probiotics ie: plain yogurt for a few days after the round of sulmet is done. If that doesn't help I would say a round of corrid (stronger then sulmet)

4. pastrymama

pastrymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    can you tell me where to buy that online? i found a bag of corrid at my feed store yesterday, but labeled for cattle. no measurements for poultry and it was $23. they said i needed a gram, but i don't have a gram scale.

5. lchorne

lchorne Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2009
    Chatham County, NC
    I just read on a previous post that the dosage of Corid 9.6% is 9.5 to 10.0 cc per gallon. I just treated my 8 wk old chick for cocci this morning. One died this morning and hoping to save the others. If anyone know a different dosage, please inform us both.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by