5 week old Alpine goat eats grain and hay but won't take bottle

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NHAlison, Apr 23, 2016.

1. NHAlison

NHAlison Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2015
    New Hampshire
    I have three 5-week old Alpine female goats. They've been eager milk drinkers all along. But today, at the 3rd feeding, one of the girls wouldn't take the bottle. She's not interested at all. I saw her grazing and eating grain sporadically, but she will not take the bottle. She acts ok. Still spunky, and I've observed cud chewing, which I assume means her rumen is working properly.
    I'm thinking I need a vet, but I'd like to know if this is common and/or if there's anything I can try first.
    Thanks, Alison

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    If she is eating hay and grain, chewing her cud, and her ears are upright and alert, I wouldn't worry about it. Did you take her temperature?

3. NHAlison

Jun 11, 2015
    New Hampshire
    I was going to to feed them this morning, with a thermometer and Vaselune in hand, but I didn't need it! Whatever it was, she snapped out of it and drank her milk with a vengeance! I am so relieved! Thank you for your response.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    At 5 weeks they are ready for twice a day feeding, they could just be getting too much, especially if they are already eating solids.

5. NHAlison

Jun 11, 2015
    New Hampshire
    Thank you. I will cut back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by