5 week old attacked by hawk!

melissah1010

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2022
A hawk got one of my Easter eggers, she is 4-5 weeks old. Both of her eyes are damaged and she isn’t drinking or eating. I have put a few drops of water on her beak and she seems to be getting that into her mouth. I’m worried a sinus cavity got punctured, her chirp sounds strange. She is breathing normally and can walk around. Any advice, I’m thinking she isn’t able to see at all…

image.jpg

It would help to put her under a natural light and focus on her injuries so we can see how serious they are.

As @SilverBirds pointed out, treat her for shock first with electrolytes and added sugar in warm water.

Then you need to clean her wounds and remove all bacteria with warm soap and water or a warm saline solution. Then photograph her wounds so we can see the extent of them.

Last edited:
Working on getting some supplies, I just got electrolytes for her water and I cleaned with normal saline and put neosporin on wounds. She definitely has a puncture under her wing that air comes out of when she makes noises. I’m assuming she has a pneumothorax? I will take better pictures.

Back
Top Bottom