5 week old Australorp gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sixchickadees, Jul 28, 2011.

1. sixchickadees

sixchickadees Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    I don't know if Australorps can be sexed at this young age, but I'd like to know what everybody thinks. These pictures were actually taken when she was about 4 1/2 weeks old, but now she is 5 weeks.
    I'll try to post better and more up to date pictures soon.
    Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    maybe a male? [​IMG] Its kinda early.. Do you have some brothers and sisters to compare to? Or other birds of the same age and breed?

3. sixchickadees

Jul 4, 2011
    She is our only australorp, so we can't compare. We have a delaware of the same age, and I can post pictures of the two if that would help. Let me know. Thanks!

4. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    It's too early to tell [​IMG]

5. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Just a bit too early...

6. sixchickadees

Jul 4, 2011
    OK, I will post pictures in another couple of weeks. Thanks anyway!

7. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

I have six Australorps hatched Feb. 28. They were bought as pullets, but from about four weeks, it seemed two were roos. At about 12 weeks, it still seemed that one was a roo according to everything I had read about sexing. The legs were enormous compared to the other five, comb and wattles turned red at about seven weeks old, the stance was rooish and behavior was definitely rooish as this chicken was a top-notch flock guardian. As they matured, the only thing missing was the hackle and saddle feathers.

Now at 21 weeks they have started to lay eggs, including the "roo." She still tries to make a crowing sound, but it sounds like a sick baby calf bawling and she looks like she is choking. When I compare her looks to pictures of a full grown roo, everything matches except the lack of hackle and saddle feathers. I have come to the conclusion the only way to tell for sure is to wait for the egg or the real crowing and the rooster feathers.

Birdwatcher804 likes this.
  8. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    my money goes roo..

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

Here you go, my Australorp roos, at 4 weeks...ALL this chickens are roosters, from last year. They were all supposed to be pullets, imagine my surprise!
    I would say yours are pullets...but as you can see, a few of the boys don't look the same, waddles and combs not as red as the others.
    you may have to wait a week or 2 more....I raised 5 roos.

10. sixchickadees

Jul 4, 2011
    Thank you! Yours do look like they have quite a bit of wattle growth at 4 weeks, which mine does not. (she has absolutely no wattle). Then again, some of your don't. I guess time will tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by