5 week old Barred Rocks *need advice!*

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kaitlyn_rae2003, Jun 30, 2010.

1. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    I am picking up 3 five week old barred rock chickens on saturday. I am pretty excited, I love the looks of those birds. Im getting 2 hens, 1 roo, since I dont have a roo for my flock yet. I felt he was a pretty good choice. Anyway, these guys will be 5 weeks, and in my coop, i currently have 4 10 week frizzle mixes, and 4 14 week old RIR's. I have a second coop, designated originally for my silkies, who are 5 weeks old as well, but still small, in a brooder in my mud room right now. Do you think the barred rocks would do better in the coop with the silkies, or should i have them in with the other birds? I want my silkies to be safe, more then anything, and i was hoping since they were the same age, maybe they would get along ok, but if not, i am not sure i want to put the barred rocks in with the older girls. 5 weeks is pretty young. What would you all do? Thanks so much

2. kaitlyn_rae2003

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    please?

3. AlaskGirl

AlaskGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    I'm fairly new but as a result of dog attacks, I've had to mingle different ages more than once. I noticed the older chicks will pick on my younger ones so I had to separate them after more than a week together. I recommend watching them to see if there's some bullying. It will be typical but if it means some aren't able to eat or get to the water, prepare yourself by having a separate brooder til they are the same size.

4. kaitlyn_rae2003

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    ok so maybe having my silkies and the baby barred rocks, since they are the same size, will be better? I have a small coop just for them, i just wasnt sure if the barred rocks would be better off with the other girls. I think theyll be safer with the silkies. they are the same age, exactly and silkies are super small too. thanks a lot!

5. Jeremy Parker

Jeremy Parker Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    Go to barred rock thread this group is very nice and will share there information!

Barred rocks can sometimes be hard to introduce to other birds unless its from the start, just keep your eyes open!!

Blessings,
    Jeremy

6. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you put a temporary wall of chicken wire in the run or coop for a week? Keep them seperate but together, to get used to each other, look but not peck! It might help.

7. Chickielady

Chickielady Spiritwood Farms Premium Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    It has been my experience that the oldest birds are the rulers even if a bit smaller.
    But silkies are awfully docile, aren't they ?
    I have used the soft plastic bird netting to seperate my big coops so that one "litter" of birds is seperate from the others.
    You can even hold the netting in place with thumb tacks, but make sure the tacks are tapped into the wood tightly so they do not fall out.
    (I am always worried the birds will eat them if found on the ground...typical Mom)
    Anyway, then let them together, and if they begin to fight, put up the bird net.
    It is a hassel to get 2 feeders and 2 waterers and only 1 group can access the outside door, etc.
    But it may help slow down the pecking.
    If that won't help, better put them in with the bigger birds.
    All my PBR have been so nice, hand raised, but 1 roo is a bit aggressive, the other is super mellow, so watch the roo.
    Good Luck !
    I love PBR's, often have double yolks more than any other birds I have had.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by