5 week old Barred Rocks *need advice!*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kaitlyn_rae2003, Jun 30, 2010.

1. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    I am picking up 3 five week old barred rock chickens on saturday. I am pretty excited, I love the looks of those birds. Im getting 2 hens, 1 roo, since I dont have a roo for my flock yet. I felt he was a pretty good choice. Anyway, these guys will be 5 weeks, and in my coop, i currently have 4 10 week frizzle mixes, and 4 14 week old RIR's. I have a second coop, designated originally for my silkies, who are 5 weeks old as well, but still small, in a brooder in my mud room right now. Do you think the barred rocks would do better in the coop with the silkies, or should i have them in with the other birds? I want my silkies to be safe, more then anything, and i was hoping since they were the same age, maybe they would get along ok, but if not, i am not sure i want to put the barred rocks in with the older girls. 5 weeks is pretty young. What would you all do? Thanks so much

2. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    My two BRs are really mellow, but they are pullets. Very nice chicks at 14 weeks -- they were nice at 5 weeks. I would look at the size differential between them and the RIRs and make up my mind then. They get big fast. I don't know how they would behave with silkies or how big 10 week silkies are, but as long as the BR aren't acting aggressive (and mine don't) I would try them in a cage inside the silkie run first and see how they get used to each other. Then, slowly introduce them when you can watch them and shut the BRs in a cage at night (unless your birds are in total darkness).

I'm hesitant to put young BRs with RIRs that are bigger because the RIRs can be aggressive (but I have a wonderful RIR pullet, so go figure [​IMG]) I also have a mean RIR cockerel who is going to freezer camp in September.

3. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    I have 4 eight week old BR pullets. They are very sweet with us, and have great personalities. However, they all want to eat my Buff Orpingtons who are just two weeks younger. They are very close in size, but for the past two weeks it has been an on going battle. We are now thinking about a separate coop. See hoe they do, and keep an eye on everyone. I am guessing you will have them separate for a few week anyway, during the "quarantine " period. After that, they will all be closer to the same size. Good luck. BR's are great birds. [​IMG]

4. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I love my barred rocks, and my roo before he was taken. They are the sweetest chickens I have ever had but like Yardbird said they do tend to pick on smaller ones. They like to be the boss of the food, water, and yard here. They now are getting along with my cochins which are very small they just like the other birds to know their place, and know they are boss. lol

5. chickensnax

chickensnax Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2009
    south Texas
    Sounds like you have a good start to a mixed flock. My Br's are great birds and full of character. Just keep in mind that when they get bigger the silkies are always going to be small and the Br's not so small. Mine live with a mixed flock of production red's, an EE, An Autralorp, and some buff Orps, and everyone gets along great, but they are all pretty similar in size with my reds being a little more dominate than the BR's. Plus if they do out grow the silkies remember the stress of switching birds and the adjustment to the flock heirarchy that they go through and even at a young age their will be challenges and some scuffles. One thing more, my rooster is also a BR and he is one studly dude. He is a great rooster, takes care of the girls with treats and watching for bad birds or predators and submissive to myself and the hubby. I do feel sorry for my one Old English Game that is a smaller bird when he desides to make an honest lady out of her. The Br roosters can get pretty big in size they're not lanky and thin like the RIR and similar birds they get rather big and heavy and that might be a problem later with the smaller lighter silkies, they might get a little picked on by his size and spurs. My heavier birds can shake him off no problem and can handle his weight but the lighter birds have a slightly tuffer time, but nobody hurt just missing feathers and maybe wounded pride.
    Here's a pic of my man, but don't make fun he was still regrowing his tail feathers after a moult last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What every you decide, I'm sure it will be the right choice for you, good luck!

6. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Chickensnax He is sooooooooooo handsome I hope one day I will have my BR Roo ...........your so lucky [​IMG] I love his feathers how they drape over it makes him look too pretty...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by