5 Week old Blue Marans Any quess on Sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by murmagmazy, Feb 14, 2014.

1. murmagmazy

murmagmazy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2013
    Never even heard of this breed, and ended up with them by accident, so now im wondering whether I have hens or roos? Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

[​IMG]

Jagger is on the right, and Penny on the Left. Neither of them have much of a crest, but stand very proud!
    [​IMG]

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    It's a bit early to tell, but I'd lean male for the one with the close-up headshot.

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    At 5 weeks they both look like pullets to me.

I tend to notice that in this breed the roos show themselves pretty early, sometimes as early as 2-3weeks old.

This is one of my BCM roosters at 2weeks 5days old
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I think they both look like pullets.

Here's a photo of my 4 1/2 to 5 week old BCM chicks...it is very obvious I have 1 rooster, 1 pullet (which has too much pigmentation...copper), and I think another pullet as well (the breeder agrees)...at this time...still a little early to call because I'm told the roo's can develop a little more slowly. But you can see why I think, right now, you have 2 pullets. EDITED TO ADD: My roo showed very early too. I knew at 2 weeks as well like the other poster.

Pretty blues! My blue died at hatch, as did my splach [​IMG]
    But happy I've got 3 BCM...and hopefully 2 pullets for those lovely dark eggs.
    Lady of McCamley

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDITED TO ADD: a photo that is less blurry of all three combs

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    They are still young, but unless you have a slower developing cockerel. You've got two pullets!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by