5+ week old - boys or girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OurFurryFriends, May 27, 2016.

1. OurFurryFriends

OurFurryFriends Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2015
    Pioneer, CA
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I am a new chicken owner and my chickens are just over five weeks - there's 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 buff Orpingtons and 1 Plymouth Barred Rock. I'm having a hard time posting more than one or two pictures - can anybody tell just from these whether they are boys or girls? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    1st pic the PBR & the RIR looking at the feed maybe Cockerel, 3rd pic RIR in the lower right corner & PBR again looking Cockerel. From what I can see of the BO, 1st pic being the PBR looks Pullet, can't see the other. I'm really guessing cause can't see their combs/wattles very well....Could you get pics closer?

1 person likes this.
  3. OurFurryFriends

Dec 20, 2015
    Pioneer, CA
    I'll have to take some more detailed pictures this weekend and I'll post a few of each chick with their name.
    The Plymouth Barred Rock is so mellow I was hoping it was a girl, plus what I was reading it made it sound like the girls were darker like this one as the boys had more thicker white bars

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Can't see combs on some of them - others are a little blurry. Can't see the color of BR's legs etc.

1 person likes this.
  5. OurFurryFriends

Dec 20, 2015
    Pioneer, CA
    The Plymouth Barred Rock that is remaining is almost 6 weeks. Ideas on roo or hen? She is quite mellow.[​IMG]

6. littlegreywolf

littlegreywolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Southwest Texas
    I'd say, from what I can tell from the pictures, that you have at least one rooster (one of the Rhode Island Reds with the larger comb). All the rest look like pullets at this point.

1 person likes this.
  7. OurFurryFriends

Dec 20, 2015
    Pioneer, CA
    I can't seem to find the button to start a new thread on my mobile app. So I'm posting new pictures of my 10 and a half week old Rhode Island red here - I'm pretty sure it's a boy. I've also posted a picture of him with the other Rhode Island red who I think is a girl.[​IMG]

8. OurFurryFriends

Dec 20, 2015
    Pioneer, CA
    Can't get other pics to load.

9. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    It is a cockerel, the large comb and and pointed, shiny back feathers give it away. The other looks like a pullet. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. OurFurryFriends

Dec 20, 2015
    Pioneer, CA
    Yes that's what I've been figuring from different people's input. Thank you so much for your comment I really appreciate it. Luckily I have found him a new home that I'll be taking him to in the next couple of weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by