5 week old buff orpington chick--red eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by madornato, Oct 16, 2009.

1. madornato

madornato Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2009
    Newnan, GA
    I have a 5wk old BO that started to have an eye problem about 1 week ago--I'm not exactly sure when. She and her brooder mates are currently on corrid for coccidiosis, but I only started them on that yesterday. These same birds had to be treated for mites about the same time that the eye problem showed up. I'm not sure if that's coincidental or not. The other birds' eyes are fine. I tried to take a pic, but it would no focus in close enough to see the problem. It seems as if her eyes are not quite centered in the eye opening--the front part of the eye opening is really red. There is no puss coming from the eye, and neither the eye or the surrounding is swollen. I bought some Vet Rx and treated the eye last night (putting the Vet Rx on a swab and putting it in the cleft of the mouth did not work out as good as the directions indicated--I could never get the Vet Rx to come out of the nostrils). I did read somewhere on the internet to put the Vet Rx directly into and around the eye and let the chick/chicken drink some of it. So, I did that. There seems to be no improvement today. I'm not sure how long it takes if it will work. Should I do that 3x per week for a few weeks or should I do something else?

Thanks so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by