5 week old buffs, pullets or cockerels?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Marme, May 21, 2016.

1. Marme

Marme Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    Hi everyone!  I'm new to all of this, forum and chickens in general.  I have a couple hens and just picked up three buff chicks.  They are now around 5 weeks old.  At two weeks one of them had no tail and short wings, and they others had tail feathers and much more developed wings.  I had read that the short tail and wings indicated male and the longer wings and developed tail were females.  Mr no tail still looks like he's a cockerel to me, and one of the others still looks like a pullet.  Then there's one that still is more developed wing and tail wise but looks like it has more prominent wattles than the other pullet, but not quite as prominent as the roo.  Can anyone help confirm or determine sex on these guys?  I can't keep any roos =(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Burgs

Burgs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2015
    Canterbury
    I've hatched a fair few Buffs in my time and in my experience I find the breed a little hard to predict the sex of untill about 8 weeks. In saying that I'm thinking 1 and 3 are roosters and 2 is a hen . . But like I said I think it's a bit to early to tell

I hatched a brood once and I was 99% I had two roosters so positive infact that I found homes for them . . . Then it turned out they were hens!!! Lol like I said I find buffs a bit hard to predict :-/

1 person likes this.
  3. Burgs

Burgs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2015
    Canterbury
    Also wing feather and tail length I find to be very ineffective in determining sex of birds.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    My guess would be #1 - male, # 2 - female, # 3 - male. ..Not sure how well exactly it works but "My Pet Chicken" sells a "crow no more" rooster collar that does not allow enough expansion of air to crow. It's supposed to be safe, if you wanted to try to keep one male and test the collar to see if it quiets the roo enough. They make different sizes for different breeds. If you are really attached to one of the males you can try it and see how well it works for you.

1 person likes this.
  5. Marme

Marme Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    [​IMG] #1
    [​IMG] #2

[​IMG] #3

Ok guys, here they are at 14 weeks. Still not sure about two of them but I'm pretty darn sure #3 is a rooster. He's huge compared to the other two and has the biggest comb, thickest legs and more masculine looking head to me. I'm still holding out hope that #1 is a hen. She has the comb and wattles but they are smaller than the other two and her head is much more petite. #2 I still am not sure about, but I'm thinking rooster. I'm assuming I just won't know until they either crow or lay.... I need to know soon so I can rehome the roosters. My neighbors won't appreciate crowing! That and I'm sure my other three girls wouldn't appreciate being accosted by three boys! Thoughts??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by