5 week old chick acutely lethargic and inappetant, possible diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cabot, May 16, 2010.

1. cabot

cabot Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all, I have a young chick that is very suddenly just "not herself". She is quiet, not coming up for visits, seems to want to keep her eyes closed but appears normal, no respiratory issues, no exposure to other birds (except her flock mates). I don't really know if there is anything I can do for her, of course she is one of my favorites and most friendly!

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    5 week old barred rock pullet
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    acutely lethargic, tail down, fluffed feathers, generally the friendliest but now in back of coop, tends to want to close her eyes but they look normal if she is stimulated. She can stand and walk and does not seem weak, just seems like she doesn't feel well, also was yawning excessively this morning but not this afternoon. Her crop appears to be empty.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    6 hours
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    none
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    nothing that I can think of
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    She had been eating purina medicated starter well and has access to chick grit, occasional dried meal worm or grub, has been out on the lawn a few times to graze
    I have not seen her eat today, she did drink on her own when placed near the water
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Looked normal last night, only saw one today and seemed a bit runny
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    none
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Looking for suggestions
    10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    housed with 8 other 5 week olds in a 4 by 8 coop on pine shavings for bedding. The coop is still in the garage with a red heat lamp on at night . The run is not complete but they go out on the lawn about an hour a day for the past 2 weeks weather permitting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by