5 week old chick advice- treats and poop question

Benanjoe

Chirping
Sep 8, 2020
Hi there!
I have a couple of questions regarding my two 5 week old speckled Sussex chicks. Raising these two has been a different experience compared to the BO chicks I raised last year.
Firstly, they do not like treats! Not even scrambled eggs. The just walk all over them and one even tried them, but did not come back for seconds. I was astonished. Has anyone ever experienced this?
Secondly, one of them has had diarrhea for several days off and on. I have kept a close eye on her to see if perhaps she needed treatment for coccidiosis, but I never saw blood in her stool and she is happy and acting completely normal. It seems to be sometimes dark in color and also super watery. She appears to be totally healthy besides this.
It has been unseasonably warm here this time of year, so they have been going outside during the afternoon hours in a small pen. They like to peck at the grass, but seem to eat things that they really shouldn't be eating. I have witnessed them eating their pine shavings for example. This is when I started to give them chick grit.

I am so confused why my chicks won't eat scrambled eggs, but will eat pine shavings! Btw, they also eat their food fine :)

I suppose I am wondering if I should just go ahead and treat with corid? Continue to have diarrhea this morning.

Quick update- I also notice undigested food in her poop. I have called the vet, but won't hear back until Wednesday. Again, they seem completely healthy besides this. Growing well, active etc.

Back
Top Bottom