5 week old chick ate poisonous plant

lyssagpsn

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 2, 2009
Utah
-EDIT-
We've gotten her to stop gagging and choking and she's breathing much easier now. Whatever she's eaten has moved past her crop, her crop is mostly empty except for some water we got in her. I guess we're just going to watch her and make sure she keeps breathing.

(Original post)
We came home to find our chicks out and roaming the house, long story short one of them appears to have eaten leaves off of an elephant ear philodendron plant and experiencing poisoning symptoms, gagging, choking, difficulty breathing, potentially swelling in her throat.. 5 week old speckled Sussex pullet...
is there something we can do, or do we have to just sit here and watch her choke to death?

Last edited:
I don't have any advice for you, hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in but wanted to say I'm sending positive thoughts out to you and the chick. I sure hope she's okay.

She's doing a little bit better now, she's pooped twice, and it was the poisonous house plant we suspected. She still gags and dry heaves every couple hours, but it doesn't cut off and stop her from getting air like what was happening we first found her. She's not quite out of the woods yet, but I think the worst of it has past.

This situation is mostly under control, but I do have some concerns and would like advice if anyone has any.
It has been about two days since we found Ezi (name of the chick) and while she no longer has any trouble breathing and appears to have passed most of the plant stuff, I still can't get her to keep anything down. I'm worried that she's very dehydrated, because though I've tried to give her water with a dropper, she immediately starts gagging and heaving, so I don't know how much water she's actually keeping, or if she's throwing up all of it. Her poop is mostly watery-clear. She hasn't shown any interest in eating/drinking on her own, so I've used a dropper to give her some egg yolk and yogurt in addition to the water, but again, I'm not sure how much is actually making it into her body..
Anyone have any suggestions? Any help you could give would be awesome.

I have never heard of tube feeding before, but it sounds like exactly what I need for her right now. Thank you, you're an angel!

Back
Top Bottom