5 week old chick dripping urine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2pollitos, Feb 12, 2014.

1. 2pollitos

2pollitos New Egg

Feb 12, 2014
    Hi,
    I have a 5 week old chick who is clearly sick and is dripping urine. His poop is running but I'm not sure if that is from the dripping urine or runny on its own. He was raised with another chick who is doing just fine. The sick chick stands there wobbly with his eyes closed, looking very sick.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Thanks.

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Sounds like coccidia. You need to start this chick on Corid .... IMMEDIATELY !

Treat all of your chicks. Your chick is not leaking pee. He has diarrhea. Chickens do not pee.

3. 2pollitos

2pollitos New Egg

Feb 12, 2014
    Thanks! The poor little guy looks so sick. Is Corid common and easy to find? Can I use any form of amprolium?

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Do you have a Tractor Supply near you?

5. 2pollitos

2pollitos New Egg

Feb 12, 2014
    No, unfortunately. I can try feed stores or a pharmacy. Perhaps they will have it if it is common.

6. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist Premium Member

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Amprolium is usually used at low dose for prevention in feed, but can be used for treatment in correct doses. I believe corid is more effective though for treatment.

As this can wipe out your chicks very fast get them started on Corrid (or amprolium if you don't have access to corid) ASAP

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  7. Phage

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Most feed stores generally carry it

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It's usually in the cattle section. Sulmet is another, but not as effective.

-Kathy

9. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Corid is amprollium which might go under the name Amprollium or Amprol or Corid it is the SAME medication just different names depending on the area you live in. Hope this helps you find it! Also I have a question? Chickens don't pee they have u rates (the white cap on the poop) do you mean he's dripping poop?

10. Phage

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Awesome. So they are the same stuff!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by