5 Week Old Chick having fits??

Overoberyl

Songster
7 Years
Aug 29, 2012
Florida
I have a small group of 5 week old Lemon Cuckoo Orps, last night one of the chicks I believe to be a cockerel (already has a larger pink comb) started screeching loudly, flapping, and circling the growout pen frantically. The other chicks seemed so freaked out they were all huddled in one corner trying to get away from him. It was like he all of a sudden went into a frenzy and was having some kind of fit or something. I heard the noise and ran outside, thinking maybe a snake got into their pen, maybe he had been stung by a bee, bitten by an ant, who knows...I couldn't find anything in the pen, checked him all over for signs of ant bites and didn't find anything obvious. I kept him separated from the others for the night and this morning he seemed fine, eating drinking, etc. so I put him back into his pen. Everything seemed normal until about an hour ago he had another 'episode'. In between episodes he's still eating/drinking/pooping normally, no others signs of illness, nothing out of the ordinary whatsoever with the exception of these weird spells he has. I have no idea what is causing this other than that maybe he has some kind of defect in his brain! Is this an illness? All of my other birds are completely healthy, and this bird also seems completely healthy otherwise...

Last edited:
Not a bird to use for breeding for sure. It might be a genetic defect or the bird has some damage. If he is eating and drinking and non of the others have been exposed to anything you can feed him out and butcher, or you can send him to a lab to do testing to find out for sure if he is from your lines. (I know I would want to know)I would be very concerned myself and curious to what it is. Very unusual. Don't stress about it. You have done nothing wrong if the rest are healthy. Sometimes nature can be mysterious.

Or like the other poster stated, you have not experienced a young chick roo play adult roo. It is not like a fit though. It is just play fun and a bit crazy.

I would be thrilled if thats all this was...but this is like a completely crazed frenzy, lasts for 30 sec - 1 min and he seems completely oblivious to anything else during...I mean it really looks like what would happen if a chicken were attacked by a nest of fire ants - jumping up and down and on top of the other chicks, screeching, flapping, and circling. It's bizarre...

I would be thrilled if thats all this was...but this is like a completely crazed frenzy, lasts for 30 sec - 1 min and he seems completely oblivious to anything else during...I mean it really looks like what would happen if a chicken were attacked by a nest of fire ants - jumping up and down and on top of the other chicks, screeching, flapping, and circling. It's bizarre...
Yeah.. That seems weird..

Any chance you can take a video?

My young male will flap all around and let out screeching sounds, but doesn't seem scared or like he is oblivious.

I'm having a three month hen do the same thing. I found her away from her little school mates, goes into these fits and just runs crazy all over, bashing into things over and over. it's like she was traumatized or something. I have her separated. Can a bird get mad cow disease? This is definitely NOT normal or playing. It's like she spasms.

I'm having a three month hen do the same thing. I found her away from her little school mates, goes into these fits and just runs crazy all over, bashing into things over and over. it's like she was traumatized or something. I have her separated. Can a bird get mad cow disease? This is definitely NOT normal or playing. It's like she spasms.
Is she freaking out because you are there?

NO. I left her and her baby buddies in with a new rooster and I think he traumatized her. She doesn't mind me, just something, like the wind or a sudden movement, causes her to go into spastic fits and she tries to find a place to hide her head. I say spastic, because it's not the normal scrambling to get away from something, it's a very disoriented try to get away. I feel she must have been picked on by this roo and he might have hit her on the head too hard? I'm giving her "sav-a-chick" and vitamin e water and I have her placed in a small box so she can't hurt herself. As long as it's not a disease, I can baby her until she gets over the trauma. I tried to find any diseases that cause this hysteria and couldn't. No runny nose or breathing problems. Just panic attacks....I hope.

Back
Top Bottom