5 week old chick not walking right!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Coupe, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Coupe

Coupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    Yesterday this chick was fine! Earlyer today i noticed it was very wobbly..can still walk..but just seems like its drunk or a baby trying to walk.also seems to be sittig on its butt with its feet out in front of it alittle..still eatting and drinking.. I dont know what this could be..please help!

2. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    [​IMG]
    This is a pic of her/him..feet out infront..and i forgot to add her feet where cold..

3. OneCrazyCowgirl

OneCrazyCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe she's cold. Not sure, my chick was about 3 days old and she was acting the same way, wobbly and crazy like. She was better the next day.

4. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    She seems to be getting worse...not wanting to walk and leaning so far back on her knees and butt that she falls backwards..idk...its so weird.
    I had her wrapped in a warm towel and she kept stretching her legs out forward like they are bothering her but i dont see or feel anything wrong!

5. OneCrazyCowgirl

OneCrazyCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Poor girl, I don't know what's wrong, maybe she has lame legs? I'll look up somethings and do some research to see if I can help. At least she is eating.

6. Ogress

Ogress Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North Bend, WA
    My Coop
    2 years ago I had a cochin chick that went wobbly. For 2 or 3 days she continued to get worse. She could not even walk anymore and I thought I was going to have to end her life. I read somewhere it could be a vitamin deficiency. I switched from a locally produced organic food to Purina Start and Grow, and put it right in front of her. Within just a few hours of switching her food, she was up on her feet and walking around. In 2 days she was back to normal.

Though I prefer buying local, I do think the big commercial brands of feed are better characterized.

7. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    Thank you for the info..i will go out in the morrning and buy a different feed! Hopefully thatll work! just so strange how fast this came on..and all other chicks are fine..

8. NosiphoChooks

NosiphoChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
  9. Coupe

Feb 22, 2010
    Highland, NY
    She isnt getting any worse and not better at all.still no walking..leaning very far back on her haunches..Pupils seem fine..she is putting her head back by her butt like she is cleaning her feathers and then just falls over..sticks her feet out way in front of her..i did notice this morrning she not quick enough to grab food like the other chicks..

10. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    How old is she and what have you been feeding her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by