5 week old chick sneezing & snoring!

CovidChickas

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2020
Hi all! I’m new here first post, first questions I’m sure of many! Day 2 here with 4 five week olds. My white leghorn is showing all signs of sick:
-sneezing
-lethargic today compared to establishing pecking order yesterday
-snoring now that she’s asleep and the rest are too
-she was separating herself.
So we checked her tush, and nothing there although my daughters have said her poop had been “pretty loose twice and then one big hard one”. I washed her vent with soapy water.
-she gets annoyed when the others bump her or move her
-she then gets up to eat and drink a little and then back to resting with her neck tucked back!
Hope this helps!!! Please help me!!!

Attachments

• 9734ACA7-1134-42F2-B0E5-6DF59780EA18.jpeg
    9734ACA7-1134-42F2-B0E5-6DF59780EA18.jpeg
    629.9 KB · Views: 11
  • A88D976B-4389-4C4A-85F3-D77626A30593.jpeg
    A88D976B-4389-4C4A-85F3-D77626A30593.jpeg
    504.3 KB · Views: 10
I agree, given their age, and how often birds their age are affected by Coccidiosis, it may be wise just to dose some of them as a precaution. I would start off by dripping a drop or two along the affected chicks beak, then add it to their water. Using this dose,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing.818879/

In regards to the sneezing, and snoring, depending on the frequency of both actions, that can indicate a respiratory/fungal infection, or something as simple as something lodged in her throat, or an environmental issue. You mention the other chicks are starting to snore (?) that is not normal. Could you post a video of them snoring?

When she sneezes, is their discharge, if yes, Is the discharge clear, white, yellow-ish? How often does she sneeze and snore? The temperature in their brooder area? Any discharge from her mouth, or eyes? Any facial edema?

Could you post a few pictures of her poop? How does her vent area look? Often times due to excess heat, or general inactivity, feces can build up around the vent area, and if not tended to soon, can cause obstruction of the feces trying to pass.

Where did you acquire these birds? From a feed store, or breeder? Do you own any other birds, if yes, have they been near each other? Have these chicks been outside?

For now, I would keep offering the chick warm soupy feed, and maybe drip a drop of some sugar water along her beak, and see if that helps. Make sure she is kept warm.

Day 2 here with 4 five week olds. My white leghorn is showing all signs of sick:
-sneezing
-lethargic today compared to establishing pecking order yesterday
-snoring now that she’s asleep and the rest are too
-she was separating herself.
So we checked her tush, and nothing there although my daughters have said her poop had been “pretty loose twice and then one big hard one”. I washed her vent with soapy water.
-she gets annoyed when the others bump her or move her
-she then gets up to eat and drink a little and then back to resting with her neck tucked back!
Where are you located in the world?
How warm is the brooder you are keeping them in? (temp of cool and warm side)
Can you please get some photos of their poop without the red light?

Good questions and suggestions from everyone, hopefully with more info and photos we can help you further.

We are in Chicago but I still have the brooder in the garage. Temp is at 73 degrees. I am picking up Corid now and will start giving it to them in their water soon. I have 1L so how much powder do I add? (I know I can look but can someone please make it easier) thank you!!!!

Attachments

• 1405D450-9CCD-4A11-9916-C306B2314A2C.jpeg
    1405D450-9CCD-4A11-9916-C306B2314A2C.jpeg
    620.9 KB · Views: 6
Also to clarify, it’s just the one who is sneezing and snoring! The others seem just fine but I will switch out the water for everyone. Right now the water has sugar and kwik chick I got from the hatchery.

We are in Chicago but I still have the brooder in the garage. Temp is at 73 degrees. I am picking up Corid now and will start giving it to them in their water soon. I have 1L so how much powder do I add? (I know I can look but can someone please make it easier) thank you!!!!
Also to clarify, it’s just the one who is sneezing and snoring! The others seem just fine but I will switch out the water for everyone. Right now the water has sugar and kwik chick I got from the hatchery.

You can use the dose in this article,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ol-ampromed-the-correct-amprolium-dose.73341/

If she were mine, I'd probably give her a drop or two of undiluted Corid right along her beak as well. Do note, that you'll want to take any vitamins out of her water if you do, as thiamine (B1) can combat the effectiveness of Corid since Corid works by starving Coccidia of thiamine.

If you could answer, and provide the other questions asked, that would be helpful.

I am getting the powder so after I mix it up, put some drops on her beak?

theres no discharge coming from her nose and I checked her vent and it’s clean.

You can use the dose in this article,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ol-ampromed-the-correct-amprolium-dose.73341/

If she were mine, I'd probably give her a drop or two of undiluted Corid right along her beak as well. Do note, that you'll want to take any vitamins out of her water if you do, as thiamine (B1) can combat the effectiveness of Corid since Corid works by starving Coccidia of thiamine.

If you could answer, and provide the other questions asked, that would be helpful.

Quick update:
1-Thank you to this new wonderful community i was able to get corid. I mixed it up per directions and gave it to her out of a medicine dropper. She seemed to like it and took quite a lot.
2-She fell completely asleep on me and i transferred her back and SHE... DIDNT... MOVE. Like for a second I thought she died right there, maybe I drowned her? but then I noticed she was breathings just passed out!
3-After that nap, she went to eat all by herself and also had some more corid water on her own and then she went back to rest, neck still twisted back.
4-I have put grit inside and i do think she's had some of that too.
5-I haven't noticed a sneeze since this morning before the meds...

What do you all think? Have we turned the corner or not yet? I never knew it was possible to become so attached so quickly!
And I sincerely appreciate the feedback and support bc being a first time chicka mama is pretty terrifying!

Back
Top Bottom