5 Week Old Chick Sour Crop?

stonefarmchicks

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2018
Hello,

We have a 5 week old Americana chick that seems to be having issues with its crop.

I have been reading up on the Sour Crop and Impacted Crop and having issues troubleshooting. The chick is fully active pooping, eating and drinking lots of water so I’m a little confused on what is going on here.

Two days ago I picked up the chick and some green water material spit out of the mouth. I did not really think much of it and figured I picked it up when it was eating or something. The next day I continued to keep an eye on the chick which was fine all day eating and drinking. Later in the day around bed time the chick’s crop was full to the size of a small lemon and felt like a bunch of water inside a small water balloon. Comparing this chick to its mates the size was very noticeable. So I jumped online and read a little. Form what I did read online it did not seem impacted and tried to help clear the crop. I was able to get a small amount out and then decided to stop and put the chick in a separate coop.

I placed the chick in its own coop with some water with probiotics and no food. Today first thing I went and examined the chick’s crop. It felt completely empty I did not feel any lumps or watery jelly type of material. The chick was really hungry and wanted out of its new home and back to its mates. So I gave the chick some food watered down and she ate it all. I then checked her crop and it felt good not full. From here I watched the chick a few more hours and she was hungry active and crying for her flock. I then checked her crop on more time and placed her back into the main coop. Right away she started to eat and drink and in no time the huge lump in her crop returned.

I’m not sure what I should do at this point. I have removed her from the main coop again and with a water diet. She is not happy and wants out but after about an hour the lump has gone down some. I can’t tell if she has pooped this or threw up to release the mass.

I would try offering some moistened feed, and perhaps a bit of chick grit. Sometimes when there is crop problems there's also an internal problem that doesn't allow the crop to empty. I wouldn't withhold feed too long on a young chick.

Sometimes there's just something not right about one and it won't make it. I don't think messing around with them helps the outcome, but that's just been my experiences. Getting some moistened feed in it every few hours until it's full again and not so hungry is where I would start.

Others like @Eggcessive or @Wyorp Rock May have some helpful advice.

Later in the day around bed time the chick’s crop was full to the size of a small lemon and felt like a bunch of water inside a small water balloon. Comparing this chick to its mates the size was very noticeable.

Form what I did read online it did not seem impacted and tried to help clear the crop. I was able to get a small amount out and then decided to stop and put the chick in a separate coop.

Today first thing I went and examined the chick’s crop. It felt completely empty I did not feel any lumps or watery jelly type of material.

The chick was really hungry and wanted out of its new home and back to its mates. So I gave the chick some food watered down and she ate it all. I then checked her crop and it felt good not full.

Right away she started to eat and drink and in no time the huge lump in her crop returned.

The only way to check crop function is first thing in the morning before the chicken eats or drinks. It should be empty or flat.

Check it again first thing in the morning - if it's empty, put her back with the others.

A chicken's crop is going to be at various stages of fullness throughout the day since they eat pretty much all day. They eat, digest, poop and the cycle continues. Before they go to roost, they fill up, this is when you will usually feel the crop at it's fullest.

Your checking at bedtime, it is supposed to be full - depending on how much she drinks before bed it could feel like it has water. Sometimes it can feel very full - it's hard to compare one to another because some just eat more than the others. If her crop is emptying overnight, then I would not worry at this time.

If she has other symptoms - lethargy, isolating herself, respiratory distress, etc. then you should be concerned.

Update 8/29/18
The chicks crop is flat however we did not leave any food in the coop last night. We tried some eggs before bed last night and she only ate a little and did not like them much. Today the chick is still active and responding wanting food. We tried to give some apple cider vinger in the water but it does not seam she can hold down water now.

I removed the vinger water and gave plan tap water same out come she will drink a bunch of it then a few min later start shaking her head and all the water comes out.
At this point i think she will not make it but still trying our best to keep her going as she still has a bunch of life left in her.

My wife is going to try some yogurt today and see how that goes. The chick wants her food even when we put her on the ground she will try to eat everything on the floor.

We have been feeding water down food with and some grit.. the chick seems to holding down most of the food however the water is still an issue. When drinking water chick will throw up after a few mins. At this point i think we are going to continue to feed a table spoon of food every few hours then put the chick back with its mates.

Day 3
Last night I left her with water and when I woke up today to check her the crop it was a still a little full. Not sure if this was from the water or the food from last night not going down.

She is still very active and wanting to eat and talking a bunch of crap haha. I have feed her some more today and started her on yogurt. Im not sure if we caught the sour crop before its flow blown or if she has a slow crop.

No matter what as soon as she starts to eat the crop starts to get huge.
The other chicks cant eat for hours and not even compare to the size of her crop in less then 10min.

She is holding down water a little better but still throws up some and seems to be clear liquid now not green slimy stuff. I will need to continue to watch this as this was the first one today.

still working on the video however here is her poop today.

1. This one is her temp coop from sometime last night .

2. The hard one on the floor is the first poop she took when i let her out to clean her coop.
3. The 3rd one came shortly after the 2nd hard one.
IMG_4564.JPG
IMG_4563.JPG
IMG_4566.JPG

Update 8/29/18
The chicks crop is flat however we did not leave any food in the coop last night. We tried some eggs before bed last night and she only ate a little and did not like them much. Today the chick is still active and responding wanting food. We tried to give some apple cider vinger in the water but it does not seam she can hold down water now.

I removed the vinger water and gave plan tap water same out come she will drink a bunch of it then a few min later start shaking her head and all the water comes out.
At this point i think she will not make it but still trying our best to keep her going as she still has a bunch of life left in her.

My wife is going to try some yogurt today and see how that goes. The chick wants her food even when we put her on the ground she will try to eat everything on the floor.

It happens sometimes they drink faster & drink maximum and after some time throw up the water most common in hot summer ..

Back
Top Bottom