5 week old chick spitting up clear liquid

UnskilledHomestead

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2020
I'm not sure if this is normal for chicks as I couldn't find any information on this. As far as I know at least one of my 5 week old chicks has spit up clear white liquid that's is reminiscent of dog drool. It can from their beak and not her nose so I don't think it is from a respiratory problem, there has also been no coughing or sneezing. Its ridiculously hot here 100f° in the daytime. Could it be a sign or overheating?
I know very little about chickens so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Make sure they have a lot of cool shaded water during these hot days. Feel her crop, and make sure that she is drinking well. Chickens can have water drop out of their beaks if their heads are down. Be careful not to squeeze the crop, or water can come up.

They have lots of water and plenty of shade. The chicks crop felt very squishy and larger then the other chicks of the same age we have. They are acting normal and drank some of the new cooler water I brought out for them.

Chickens have the ability to spit up water, since there is no sphincter to stop it. Check the crop first thing in early morning before they eat or drink, when it should be empty. If they have access to water during the night under a heat lamp the crop may not be empty.

We are keeping them in an enclosure outside 24/7 since it very warm and my family keeps our house cold. So it has food and water all night. Should I take it inside with a heat lamp to see how it is doing in the morning or leave it outside and check?

I think this is an older post, but I have the same issue! We are getting a heat wave and one of my chicks is acting similarly. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm not sure if this is normal for chicks as I couldn't find any information on this. As far as I know at least one of my 5 week old chicks has spit up clear white liquid that's is reminiscent of dog drool. It can from their beak and not her nose so I don't think it is from a respiratory problem, there has also been no coughing or sneezing. Its ridiculously hot here 100f° in the daytime. Could it be a sign or overheating?
I know very little about chickens so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Once I had an adult hen chocking on a tomato (I usually cut the cherry tomatoes up since they’re prone to this by trying to swallow it whole, but this one escaped the knife) so I massaged her throat (not sure I did the right thing but I was in full Panic) and she spit it out along with cLear liquid from her crop. A hot day could make this happen, not the chocking part, liquid from her crop.

Back
Top Bottom