5 week old chick suddenly dead

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newbiechickenfan, Jun 18, 2011.

1. newbiechickenfan

newbiechickenfan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    All 5 of them seemed fine yesterday and then this morning 1 died. She showed no signs of being sick and then I checked on them this morning and she was just laying there not able to move. She died a few minutes later. The others seem fine and are eating, drinking and running around like normal. But I can't relax because the other one was fine too. There is no sign of blood in their stool and I can't figure it out. I went to the feed store and they recommended "save a chick" electrolyte and I also picked up antibiotics. Should I give them either of these things or just wait and see? It's awful not knowing what to do. Can giving them antibiotics hurt them if they don't need it?

2. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not an expert but I know how upsetting this is. At 5 weeks I'm guessing pasty butt is no longer an issue and you don't mention any signs of trauma. I lost one at 6 months, fine in the am, dead in the afternoon - never figured out what was wrong. We wondered if she might have been poisoned - are your chickens outside where they could get into snail bait or pesticides?

3. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    There can be many things that cause this in a young chicken of that age...one being Marek's Disease... (here is the link http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page9.htm
    The
    sad thing is that this is VERY contagious and there really is No cure for it. The only way to tell if your chick had it is to do an Autopsy to see if it has internal lessions and tumors.
    I am really sorry for your loss....the link will give you more information on it. Far warning that many birds with this act fine and then die without reason. and the incubation time is a week or more, so keep an eye out for any other chicks not feeling well...( "drop wing", lethargic, leg paralyzed, runny poop, not eating...etc)

On the up side not all chicks get the Disease cause they are B blood type...so many will breed for a disease free flock. However if you have any other birds that are not with this batch then KEEP Them AWAY from your others.

Remember...I am not saying it is this, but it can be a likely cause !

God Bless and Best Wishes,
    Laura

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  4. newbiechickenfan

Apr 24, 2011
    They are all clear with the pasty butt thing. I checked that out too. They are outside but they are in a protected run and coop. There are no pesticides out there that I know of. I'm hoping it was just a fluke and the others will be okay.

5. newbiechickenfan

Apr 24, 2011
    Thanks for your input Laura but they were vaccinated for that before I got them. I'll check out your though.

6. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Like i said not saying it is..However I have ALL mine vaccinated and I still had a batch Die from Marek's Disease..... vaccination is not a sure thing all the time.... ( i had an autopsy done on mine)

Could of been a neurological or vitamin issue too

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by